✗ prologue ✗

prologue

You know how people say first impressions matter? Well, they’ve clearly never met Park Minji and Nishimura Riki. If first impressions truly counted, we might have ended up sworn enemies—or worse, completely ignoring each other.

And let me tell you, that would have been boring.

It all started on a ridiculously sunny day. I was just minding my own business, perfectly content with my life, when out of nowhere, wham!

A soccer ball smacked me right in the face. And who was responsible for this act of violence?

None other than that annoying boy who thought he owned the field—Ni-ki, the giant monkey.

If you ask him, he’ll say it was an accident. He’d probably even flash that irresistible smirk of his and go, “Babe, I swear I didn’t mean to.” But really, how do you “accidentally” aim a soccer ball right at someone’s face?

Exactly—you don’t.

That moment, as much as I hate to admit it, marked the beginning of something I never saw coming. Sure, I wanted to kick his shins at first (and okay, maybe I actually did), but that day set off a chain of events neither of us could have predicted.

Fast forward a year later, and here we are, standing on that same soccer field where it all began. I point to the exact spot where I was standing back then, holding up a stack of books for our classes, grinning like a fool.

“Right here,” I say, tapping my foot on the grass. “This is where you decided to turn my face into a target.”

Ni-ki bursts out laughing, that deep, contagious laugh that makes it impossible to stay mad at him. “I swear, babe, it was an accident! You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“Oh, sure,” I roll my eyes, but I can’t help smiling too. “And do you remember the first thing I did after I hit the ground?”

He wipes away a tear from laughing so hard. “You whipped out your phone and texted your friends about it before even getting up! Like, who does that?”

I laugh along with him, the memory of that chaotic day coming back in full force. “Hey, priorities! I needed witnesses. Plus, I had to let them know that some annoying guy just made my life ten times more complicated.”

He grins, shaking his head. “And then we both ended up with bloody noses by the end of the day. Mine from trying to apologize to you, and yours from, well, my soccer ball.”

I chuckle, remembering how absurd it all was. “Yeah, and remember how the nurse gave us matching ice packs? We looked like a couple of idiots.”

“Idiots who ended up banned from the clinic together,” Ni-ki adds, still grinning. “Because apparently, blaming you in front of the nurse and calling you an idiot for getting hit didn’t go over too well. I swear, I didn’t mean it!”

I elbow him lightly. “Sure you didn’t, monkey baby. That’s why your nose got busted again when you tried to pin it all on me.”

He laughs, pulling me closer. “Okay, maybe I deserved that. But hey, at least we’ll always have the memory. And the clinic ban.”

I glance up at him, feeling that familiar warmth in my chest. “Yeah, I guess we will. Here’s to more chaotic memories and bloody noses, then.”

“Here’s to never dodging a single one, my grumps,” he replies, leaning down to kiss me.

And just like that, we laugh off the past, knowing that through all the craziness, we’re exactly where we’re meant to be—annoyingly in love, just like the day it all began.

Just as our lips meet, we hear the unmistakable sound of someone clearing their throat, followed by a playful whistle. I pull back and turn to see Dongpyo, Chenle, and Rei walking towards us, all with wide grins plastered on their faces.

Dongpyo, being his usual dramatic self, is the first to speak up.

“Well, well, well,” he says, crossing his arms and giving us a mockingly stern look. “If it isn’t the infamous couple who can’t seem to stay out of trouble. Didn’t you two get banned from the clinic or something?”

Ni-ki grins and shrugs. “What can I say? We’re trendsetters.”

Chenle laughs, shaking his head. “Trendsetters in getting banned from places, maybe. You two are something else.”

Rei steps forward, giving me a quick hug before turning to Ni-ki with a knowing smile. “You’ve got to admit, it’s kind of cute how they’ve managed to turn getting injured into some sort of bonding experience.”

I roll my eyes, but I can’t help but smile at them. “Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up, guys. At least we make things interesting around here.”

Ni-ki pulls me closer, wrapping an arm around my waist. “And you wouldn’t have it any other way, would you?”

Before I can respond, I notice a shy figure lingering a bit behind our group, nervously playing with the hem of her shirt.

It’s Jillian, or as we’ve come to call her, Lian. She’s new to our circle, and even though she’s still a bit reserved, I can tell she’s fitting in just fine.

“Hey, Lian!” I call out, waving her over. “Come join the chaos!”

She gives me a small smile and slowly makes her way over, her cheeks tinged with pink. “I didn’t want to interrupt…”

“Interrupt? Nonsense!” Dongpyo says, slinging an arm around her shoulders. “You’re one of us now, which means you get to witness all the madness firsthand.”

Chenle nods in agreement. “And trust me, there’s plenty more where that came from.”

Lian laughs softly, relaxing a bit as she steps closer to the group. Ni-ki gives her a warm smile, and I can see the way she looks up to him, almost like a little sister.

“Don’t worry, Lian,” Ni-ki says, his voice gentle. “We’ve got your back. Just stick with us, and you’ll be fine.”

I glance around at my friends—my crazy, wonderful, slightly dysfunctional friends—and I can’t help but feel a surge of affection for all of them.

We’ve been through so much together, and even though we’ve had our fair share of ups and downs, there’s no one else I’d rather have by my side.

“Alright, enough sappy stuff,” I say, clapping my hands together. “Let’s get out of here before someone else gets a bloody nose.”

They all laugh, and with that, we start making our way off the field, talking and joking as we go.

As I walk beside Ni-ki, his hand glued to mine like he's afraid I'll run off, I can’t help but think:

Yep, this is it—surrounded by the people I tolerate, making memories that might just get us banned from a few more places.

What could possibly go wrong?

this crazy couple is back!  what do you think of the prologue?

vote and comment for a faster update!