Chapter 8

✧⁠◝⁠(⁠⁰⁠▿⁠⁰⁠)⁠◜⁠✧

The Kim family residence. It’s a quiet afternoon, and Taehyung is at home, taking a break from work.

Taehyung, needing a break from the weight of his arranged marriage discussions, has retreated to his study to catch up on some personal work. He’s not expecting any visitors when the doorbell rings. A moment later, Jungkook is shown in by a household staff member.

“Jungkook, you could’ve just called,” Taehyung says with a smirk as he greets his friend at the door.

“I was nearby and thought I’d drop by. Hope I’m not intruding,” Jungkook replies, his tone casual.

“Not at all,” Taehyung says, leading Jungkook into the living room. “Let me grab us something to drink.”

As Taehyung heads to the kitchen, Lia, who has just returned home, enters the living room. She’s dressed casually, her hair slightly tousled, exuding her usual mysterious vibe. She pauses when she sees Jungkook, a stranger to her.

Jungkook, noticing her presence, stands up. “Hi, I’m Jungkook. I’m a friend of Taehyung’s.”

Lia’s gaze is steady, assessing. “I'm Lia,” she says simply, not offering much else. Her voice is soft yet holds a certain edge.

Jungkook smiles, slightly taken aback by her cool demeanor. “Nice to meet you, Lia.”

Before Lia can respond, Taehyung returns with drinks in hand. “Ah, Lia, you’re back. I see you’ve met Jungkook.”

Lia nods, “Yes, we’ve met.”

Taehyung hands Jungkook a drink, then turns to Lia. “Jungkook is a close friend. We’ve known each other for years.”

Lia takes a seat, still keeping a subtle distance. “I see.”

Jungkook senses the undercurrent of her response, his curiosity about her piqued even more. “Do you live here as well?” he asks, trying to draw her into conversation.

Lia’s gaze sharpens slightly, and she responds with a cool, “Where else am I supposed to live?” Without waiting for a response, she turns and heads toward her room, leaving Jungkook slightly taken aback.

Taehyung laughs, sensing the tension. “Don’t take it seriously, Jungkook. Lia is fun once you get to know her.”

Jungkook chuckles, though his thoughts remain on Lia as she disappears down the hallway. “She’s...interesting.”

Taehyung nods, a knowing smile on his face. “She is. Don't worry the more you meet her the more you’ll get used to her.”

✧⁠◝⁠(⁠⁰⁠▿⁠⁰⁠)⁠◜⁠✧

Jisoo lounges on the couch, glancing over at Taehyung, who seems deep in thought. “You look like you’ve got something on your mind,” she remarks casually.

Taehyung leans back in his chair, his expression relaxed. “Just thinking about everything, you know? It’s been a busy few days.”

Jisoo nods, understanding. “Yeah, I get that. By the way, it was nice to see Jungkook today. He always brings good energy.”