(1)

Aanshika

The soft chime of the bell above the door echoed through the small, yet elegant office as Aanshika stepped inside. The smell of fresh coffee lingered in the air, blending with the scent of polished wood and new leather. It was a comforting space, one she had created for herself in the heart of the city, a sanctuary from the chaos of the outside world.

As she walked past the reception desk, her Secretary handed her a stack of files, each one more urgent than the last. Aanshika nodded in acknowledgment, already mentally organizing the tasks that lay ahead. She had built this business from the ground up, pouring her heart and soul into every decision, every late-night strategy session, every negotiation that left her drained but victorious. But as she moved through the office, greeting her employees with a warm smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, there was an underlying tension that never seemed to leave her.

Being the middle child in a family of high achievers had its challenges. Her older sister was the golden child-perfect, accomplished, and always one step ahead. Her younger brother, the baby of the family, was the charming one, doted on by their parents and given every opportunity to succeed. But Aanshika had always been the one in between, the one who had to fight to be seen, to be heard, to carve out her own space in a world that often seemed too small for her ambitions.

Her parents had wanted her to follow a more traditional path-to find a stable job, get married, and settle down. But that was never what she wanted. She had always been fiercely independent, determined to prove that she could succeed on her own terms, without relying on anyone else. The pressure to conform had been suffocating, but she had resisted, choosing instead to create something of her own-something that was hers, and hers alone.

As Aanshika reached her office, a corner room with floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the bustling city streets below. She closed the door behind her, the noise of the office fading away as she took a moment to herself. She placed the files on her desk, her gaze lingering on the framed photograph that sat beside them. It was a picture of her family, taken years ago during a rare moment of togetherness. Her parents stood in the center, flanked by her siblings, all smiles and perfect poses. And there she was, standing slightly apart, her smile more reserved, her eyes reflecting a determination that had yet to fully bloom.

That photograph reminded her of why she had chosen this path. She didn't fit neatly into the mold her family had created, but that was okay. She had her own dreams, her own goals, and she was willing to work harder than anyone to achieve them. But it also reminded her of the loneliness that came with that independence-the quiet nights spent alone in her office, the family gatherings where she felt like an outsider, the relationships she had avoided because she was too afraid of losing herself in someone else's expectations.

Her phone buzzed, snapping her out of her thoughts. A message from her mother flashed on the screen, a casual inquiry about when she might settle down, when she might start thinking about her future. She sighed, her fingers hovering over the keyboard as she crafted a polite, non-committal response.
"I'm focusing on the business right now, Mom. I'll think about that later."

She sent the message, knowing it would be met with disappointment, but she had made peace with that a long time ago. This was her life, and she was determined to live it on her own terms, even if it meant making sacrifices along the way.

As the day wore on, Aanshika threw herself into her work, her focus unyielding, her determination unshakable. She was lost in her work, when the phone buzzed again. Another message from her mother. With a sigh, she picked it up and read the text:

"Don’t forget about the wedding this weekend! Ashish uncle's son is getting married, and you need to be there. And please, darling, make an effort this time. There’s someone your father and I would like you to meet, a wonderful young man from a good family. We think he could be perfect for you."

Aanshika felt a familiar twinge of irritation mixed with a pang of guilt. Her mother meant well, but these constant attempts to set her up with someone were becoming exhausting. She typed a quick response:

"I remember, Mom. I’ll be there. But I’m not making any promises about meeting anyone."

She hit send and placed the phone down, leaning back in her chair with a heavy sigh. The last thing she wanted was to endure another evening of awkward small talk with someone she had no interest in, all under the watchful eyes of her parents, who still believed that marriage was the solution to everything.

As she was considering how to get through the weekend without disappointing her family too much, there was a soft knock on her office door. Her Secretary, Saina a sharp and efficient woman who had been with her from the beginning, stepped inside, holding a sleek black envelope.

"I didn’t want to interrupt, but we received this invitation today. It’s for the annual business meet-and-greet at the Gaza. It’s a big event this year, with a lot of important connections to be made. Will you be attending?"

Aanshika took the envelope, glancing at the embossed lettering. This event was one of the most prestigious in the industry, a place where deals were made, partnerships were formed, and reputations were solidified. Normally, she would never miss it, knowing how crucial it was for her business.

But as she weighed the invitation in her hands, she felt a tug of weariness. The prospect of networking, of putting on her professional mask and playing the role of the unshakeable businesswoman, felt more draining than usual. She knew she should go—it was important for the company, after all—but the thought of yet another night of superficial conversations and forced smiles made her hesitate.

"I’ll think about it," she finally said, handing the envelope back, "It’s important, I know, but… let me get back to you on this."
Saina nodded leaving the room,  understanding the unspoken tension in her boss’s voice.

Aanshika sat in the stillness of her office, the weight of her decisions pressing down on her. There was so much to juggle, so many expectations from both her family and herself. But as she stared out at the sprawling city, she knew one thing for sure: she couldn’t keep running at this pace forever.

This weekend, she would attend the wedding, play the dutiful daughter, and perhaps meet yet another man her parents deemed suitable. And maybe, just maybe, she would go to the business event and secure a deal that would propel her company forward. But in the back of her mind, the questions lingered—questions about what she truly wanted for herself, beyond the business, beyond the expectations, beyond everything.

She didn’t have all the answers yet, but for now, she would continue to do what she did best: handle it all with grace, determination, and a quiet resolve to figure out what came next—on her own terms.

---