Chapter 38

———༺✵༻———POV Catherine———༺✵༻———

———༺✵༻———
POV Catherine
———༺✵༻———

It's Thursday of the second week of Christmas break, and while I would normally relish the opportunity to sleep in, today is different. There's a meeting at Hillcrest High—a mandatory introduction to the new principal. Again.

With a sigh, I slide out of bed and wrap myself in a thick robe, padding softly to the bathroom. The mirror greets me with a reflection I've grown used to. I wash my face with cold water, hoping it will chase away the remnants of sleep and any trace of the anxieties gnawing at me.

My thoughts drift to Ella as I go through my routine, the thought of our dinner date later making me smile despite the dread I feel about this meeting. We're meeting around six, heading to a restaurant in the next town over. Somewhere safe, where we won't risk being seen together by anyone who might recognize us.

After brushing my teeth and smoothing moisturizer over my skin, I make my way to the kitchen. Breakfast is quick and simple—toast, scrambled eggs, and a cup of coffee. The warm, bitter liquid helps center me, and I take a moment to breathe deeply, trying to calm the unease bubbling in my chest.

I glance at the clock. It's just past eight. I have an hour before I need to be at the school, so I head back to my bedroom to get dressed. I choose a fitted black turtleneck and high-waisted slacks—professional but comfortable. A tailored coat and a pair of boots complete the look. I add a touch of makeup, just enough to appear polished, but not overdone. As I fasten my golden heart locket around my neck, I catch my reflection again. I look composed, confident even, but inside I'm a mess of nerves.

Ella's text from last night flashes through my mind. Can't wait to see you tomorrow, she'd written, accompanied by a heart emoji. I smile, feeling warmth spread through me at the thought of her. Tonight will be a welcome distraction from whatever awaits me at school. The thought of seeing her, of holding her, soothes some of my anxiety, but not all of it.

Finally, I grab my bag, take a deep breath, and head out the door. As I step outside, the winter chill bites at my cheeks, and I pull my coat tighter around me. The air is crisp, with a hint of snow lingering in the atmosphere, though the ground remains clear for now.

I slide into my car, the cold leather seats sending a shiver up my spine. The drive to Hillcrest is quiet, the roads nearly empty this early in the morning. It's a short commute, one I've made countless times, but today it feels different. I can't quite put my finger on why.

The school is eerily quiet when I arrive, the usual bustle of students replaced by the stillness of winter break. Only a handful of cars dot the parking lot, likely belonging to other staff members here for the same reason I am. I make my way inside, my heels clicking softly against the polished floors as I walk through the empty corridors.

I'm not sure what I expect from this new principal, but part of me is weary. The last one caused more trouble than he was worth, crossing boundaries that should have never been crossed. I was one of the few who stood up to him, which nearly cost me my job. When he was finally removed, there was a sense of relief among the staff, but it was quickly replaced by the exhaustion of yet another leadership change. Now, here we are again, hoping that this time, things will be different.