Chapter Eight

8

The rush of creativity still surged through my veins, as I awoke for work the next morning. Seven slept peacefully beside me, wedging herself between the cushions and blanket. Our arms were touching, stuck together with the heat between us, and her cheeks were flushed. I popped open the window above the couch, letting the breeze dry my damp forehead. She looked so comfortable—like it was the first time she'd slept soundly in years. It pained me to wake her.

"Hey, Sev." I nudged her gently. "I've gotta head to work. You got anywhere to go 'til school starts?" Based on the conversation we'd had a few days ago, I was terrified to leave her alone with my mother in the house. She didn't need additional blows to her self-esteem.

"Yeah, I'll just head over to the laundromat or somethin'." She groaned, slowly waking. "Need a clean outfit for the performance today, anyway. I've got my backpack of clothes with me, but I didn't get a chance to wash 'em up at Max's."

"Ya sure?" I threw on my work uniform, fastening the button on my pants. The waistband of my boxers poked out as they crept down my waist. I pulled my shirt down further even to cover it, 'til a seam popped. I didn't know how I even had any weight left to lose.

"You can hang around the Inn 'til school starts if ya want. I'll even buy you some breakfast. Matt wouldn't turn away a paying customer."

"That's okay. Besides, I need to be somewhere I can catch the bus with my car an' all." She fiddled through her backpack, brushing her fingers through her hair and pulling it into a ponytail. She used her plastic water bottle to wet her hands, slicking back the pieces that refused to lie flat.

"Suit yourself," I said, waiting for her to pull on her shoes. "I'll drop you off on the way, then." I didn't like the idea of a woman walking alone in the pitch dark. Someone could lift her into the bed of their truck with one finger, and even the sun hadn't shown its face this time of morning.

"I've got two legs. I'm perfectly capable of walking." She laced up her shoes, tossing the remainder of her belongings back into her bag.

"I've got no doubt you can, but just 'cause you can don't mean you should." I grabbed my jacket from the pile by the door, pulling my arm inside.

"Fine, I'll go to keep you company, but don't go thinkin' I need any more favors from you. I can take care of myself." She slipped a hoodie on and tossed the backpack over her shoulder.

"You don't owe me nothin', Sev. I already told you last time, any decent guy would do the same thing." I knew she wouldn't believe it. I might as well have told a flat-out lie. In her world, everyone was out to get her, to use her.

"Can you check an' make sure Cal or Mama aren't out there?" She tugged at the arm of my coat, creeping around me to peek outside. The porch lights were off.

"Mhm." I opened the screen door and flipped on the light, giving a look in all directions before returning to her side. "Seems the coast is clear."