Chapter Ten

10

I swear an entire century passed during my week of job searching. Every shop or restaurant on the main strip turned me away, saying they were all staffed up for now. Even the factories on the outskirts of town had enough manpower to get through the current season. The next town over was about an hour away and there was no way my beat-up truck could handle that daily commute for long. Maybe if I could make it a little closer to the holiday season, the factories would be seeking out some temps.

Today was my last day at the Inn, and I'd have to figure something else out soon. Luckily, it wasn't the beginning of the month, so the house payment and utilities wouldn't be due yet. I'd head over to the library after work—maybe type out a few flyers to hang around town or something. A couple of odd jobs or mowing gigs could tide us over 'til winter if I budgeted right. I also knew how to do an oil change or put on a replacement tire. I hoped I'd make enough tips during my last shift to cover the printing fees. If not, I might have to swallow my pride and beg Matt for a couple of bucks.

The morning air was beginning to get chilly this time of year, so I made sure to throw on my old denim jacket before heading out, the worn fabric soothing against my skin.

Greeted only by the giant yellow "Closing" sign, I arrived for my shift. There weren't too many folks hanging around. Most had been avoiding the failed café like the plague as it neared time for its doors to shutter. To my shock, my most favorite patron was already seated at his usual booth.

"Hal?" I exclaimed. "What can I get started for you, sir? Ya already been waited on?"

"The usual, please. I told them they could seat me, but that I wasn't ordering 'til you clocked in. I mostly just came through to see how you were getting along, my friend. Noticed all the going out of business garb in the window this morning." He looked around the café, distraught, and I took a seat in the booth across from him.

"Yeah, unfortunately, I'll be out of work now. Where have ya been? I've missed seeing ya around." The past few weeks had been nothing short of insanity, and I realized just how much I'd missed talking to a level- headed adult.

"Been out of town on business," he replied. "I really can't believe this place is going under. What a shame. Been coming here for tea and a sandwich since I was your age. We've had a lot of good memories here the last few years, haven't we? Good conversations?"

"Yep. We sure as hell did," I said, running my hand along the worn cushion of the booth. "Got no idea what the next steps look like for me. I'm still in shock over the whole thing. I've got to step up for my family, but there ain't one place hiring this time of year."

Catching Matt's stare, I jumped up and headed over to the barista counter to fix up Hal's drink. I didn't want to risk looking like I was slacking off. My joy drained as I glided into place. Every skill I'd perfected over the years would soon feel foreign.

"You gotta keep your head up, son. Anyone would be lucky to have a guy like you on staff. You're too damn talented to throw all hope out the door this early on," he said as I approached his table, setting his drink down. I could've stayed and talked to the gent all day long, but a line of people slowly formed at the counter.