3

Chapter 3: Beneath the Surface

Scene 1: Frayed Edges

Morning arrived, with the light filtering through the thin curtains of Hana's bedroom. She blinked, disoriented, as the memories of the previous day rushed back-her disastrous presentation and Sunghoon's biting words. It all felt like a surreal nightmare, but the heavy pit in her stomach reminded her that it was all too real.

Hana moved through her morning routine on autopilot, her mind elsewhere. Even as she brushed her hair and applied a light layer of makeup, she couldn't shake the feeling that today would be different. The intensity of the previous day had left her with a lingering sense of unease, as if something was on the verge of unraveling.

When she arrived at school, her eyes instinctively searched for Heeseung in the hallways, but he was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until she reached her locker that she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. Startled, she turned to see Jisoo, who was looking more serious than usual.

"Hey, can we talk?" Jisoo asked, glancing around as if to ensure they wouldn't be overheard.

Hana's brow furrowed. "What's going on?"

Jisoo pulled her aside, her expression conflicted. "There's something I need to tell you... but I don't want you to freak out."

The knot in Hana's stomach tightened. "Just tell me, Jisoo."

Taking a deep breath, Jisoo leaned in closer, lowering her voice. "I overheard something yesterday... after the whole presentation mess. Some of Heeseung's friends were talking about a bet."

Hana felt her blood run cold. "A bet? What kind of bet?"

Jisoo hesitated, clearly uncomfortable. "They didn't say much, but it sounded like Heeseung made a wager with them. About you. They were laughing about how long it would take before you cracked under pressure."

For a moment, Hana just stared at her, the words not fully sinking in. "Are you sure about this?"

"I wouldn't have brought it up if I wasn't," Jisoo said, her voice urgent. "I didn't want to worry you, but after what happened yesterday, I thought you should know. Heeseung isn't just messing with you-he's playing some kind of sick game."

Hana leaned back against her locker, trying to process what she'd just heard. A bet. Heeseung had been toying with her emotions, not just for his own amusement, but to win a stupid wager. The realization sent a wave of anger coursing through her, mingled with hurt and disbelief.

"Why would he do something like that?" Hana muttered, more to herself than to Jisoo.

Jisoo shrugged helplessly. "I don't know, Hana. But I do know this: Heeseung's not someone you should mess with. He's dangerous, and I'm worried he'll take this too far."

Hana swallowed hard, trying to push down the rising panic. "What should I do?"

"I think you should lay low for now," Jisoo advised. "Don't confront him directly. Just... be careful. We'll figure out a way to deal with this, but you need to stay calm."

Hana nodded, though her mind was racing. She wanted to march up to Heeseung and demand answers, but she knew Jisoo was right. Heeseung was playing a game, and if she acted impulsively, she might end up playing right into his hands.

"Okay," Hana finally said, her voice steadier than she felt. "I'll be careful."

Jisoo squeezed her hand. "We'll get through this, Hana. You're stronger than he thinks."

Hana forced a smile, grateful for Jisoo's support, but the sense of dread lingered. She had to be smart about this. If Heeseung thought he could break her, he was sorely mistaken. But she couldn't deny the fear gnawing at her. What if she wasn't as strong as she wanted to believe?