8

Chapter 8: Shifting Tides

Hana slumped into the classroom chair, her body still aching from the torture that was PE. She groaned, leaning back and letting her eyes fall shut for a moment. Jisoo, her best friend, plopped down beside her, looking equally worn out but somehow still composed. That was Jisoo for you-effortlessly poised even after sprinting laps.

Hana reached for her water bottle, taking a long gulp before turning to Jisoo with a sly grin. "I saw you, you know."

Jisoo raised an eyebrow, confused. "You have eyes. I'd expect you to."

Hana snickered, leaning forward. "No, I mean, I saw you staring at Sunghoon."

The effect was instant. Jisoo's face flushed a deep red as she whipped her head around, scanning the room like a criminal caught in the act. "Why didn't you go blind!" she hissed, panic seeping into her voice. Her eyes darted back to Hana, full of nervous energy.

"Come on, Ji. It was kind of hard to miss." Hana wiggled her eyebrows teasingly. "So... does that mean something?"

Jisoo rolled her eyes, trying to play it off but failing miserably. "Okay, maybe I have this little-tiny, tiny, micro-tiny crush on him," she admitted, holding her thumb and index finger close together to demonstrate just how "tiny" it was. But the truth was written all over her flushed face.

Hana grinned, clearly enjoying her best friend's discomfort. "Tiny, huh? Sure doesn't look that way from where I'm sitting."

Jisoo groaned, burying her face in her hands, which only made Hana laugh harder. It was almost too easy. Hana knew Jisoo better than anyone, and the way she looked at Sunghoon wasn't just a 'tiny' crush. It was the kind of infatuation that made you glance at someone even when you didn't mean to, that tied your stomach in knots when they were nearby.

Sunghoon, the tall, brooding heartthrob of their school, was the kind of guy who didn't seem to notice the world around him-always lost in his own thoughts, rarely smiling, and yet somehow drawing everyone in. Meanwhile, Heeseung was his polar opposite: outgoing, charming, with that devilish grin that made girls swoon and guys fume with envy. But to Hana, he was more of a walking red flag-a perpetual thorn in her side.

Scene 2: Ice Cream Regrets

Hana sat alone in her classroom, her gaze shifting lazily toward the empty seat beside her. Jisoo had practically dragged her to a new ice cream shop the day before, devouring scoops until she inevitably got a sore throat. Now, Hana was stuck at school without her usual partner-in-crime. She sighed, twirling her pen between her fingers.

Just as she was about to sink deeper into her boredom, the homeroom teacher entered, followed by a girl with dark brown hair. The girl walked with a quiet confidence, her eyes scanning the room with an unreadable expression. She didn't smile; her lips were pressed into a straight line, exuding a mysterious aura that caught everyone's attention.

"Introduce yourself," the teacher instructed, stepping aside.

The girl's eyes landed on Hana for a moment, and a chill ran down Hana's spine. There was something unsettling about her gaze, something that made Hana feel like she was being dissected under a microscope.

"I'm Yeji," the girl said, her voice cool and devoid of emotion. "Let's get along." The sarcasm in her tone was subtle but unmistakable, and it hung in the air like a thick fog. The room fell into an awkward silence as everyone exchanged confused glances. The tension was palpable, and Hana couldn't shake the feeling that Yeji's words were directed specifically at her.

Yeji's boots clanked against the floor as she walked, each step echoing in the quiet room. She passed by Hana's desk, not even sparing her a glance, yet Hana could feel the weight of her presence lingering like a shadow.