Chapter 22: Vacation part 1

Venti sat next to his statue at Windrise, strumming his lyre softly as the gentle breeze caressed his cheeks. It was a peaceful moment, and Windrise’s charm made it a favorite spot for many. Yet, despite the serene setting, Venti's anticipation grew as he waited for his Archon friends to arrive, just as he had invited them.

Hours passed, and his patience waned. Eventually, Venti dragged himself to his usual seat at Angel's Share, right in front of the bartender—who today was actually the owner himself. Sighing, he slumped into the chair.

Diluc, ever perceptive, slid a drink toward him. “On the house,” he said, his red hair catching the dim light as he polished a glass with methodical precision.

“Thanks,” Venti said, staring into the cup. His reflection looked back at him—reminding him of simpler times with old friends he missed dearly. If only his duties didn’t confine him.

Suddenly, Venti leaped up, an idea striking him. “Master Diluc, you’re a genius!” he exclaimed, rushing toward Diluc in an attempt to hug him. Diluc, however, was quicker in dodging the affectionate gesture.

“Why the sudden praise?” Diluc asked, though a hint of amusement lingered in his eyes.

“I’m heading to Liyue to see some old friends,” Venti announced with a mischievous grin. “I’ll finally get to see Zhongli!”

Diluc raised an eyebrow. “Zhongli? From the Seven Nations?”

“Yes!” Venti beamed. “And I’ll catch up with my baby Xiao too!” He waved at Diluc and dashed out in a gust of wind.

Diluc watched the door close behind Venti, his face a mask of indifference but with a glimmer of amusement in his eyes.

---

Contrary to popular belief, Zhongli was not as oblivious as he often seemed. The rumors about a young boy in green searching for “Mr. Zhongli” had reached him, hinting at an impending visit he had been too preoccupied to attend. The thought of dealing with the playful wind god who might blame him for a missed meeting made him sigh. Especially since he was busy with Lantern Rite preparations.

Zhongli spotted Venti among a crowd with Hu Tao, who was distributing flyers for the funeral parlor. The moment Venti saw Zhongli, his face lit up.

“My love!” Venti exclaimed, rushing forward to embrace Zhongli. The usually composed Geo Archon was caught off guard but quickly recovered, holding Venti close with a tender smile.

“You finally came to see me,” Venti said, looking up at Zhongli with affectionate eyes. “Why didn’t you come to Windrise?”

Zhongli, though clearly flustered by Venti’s sudden display of affection, responded with a playful hint of bitterness. “Your wind nearly ruined my hair when you sent that invitation. It was quite mischievous.”

Venti’s eyes widened in apology. “I’m sorry, my love. I didn’t mean for it to be a bother. But it’s a get-together! We should be together.”

Zhongli sighed, though his eyes softened. “Unlike you, I have responsibilities. Leaving Liyue so casually isn’t an option.”

“Oh, come on,” Venti rolled his eyes with a smile. “That director of yours only needs you once in a blue moon. You’re just making excuses.” He waved at Hu Tao and then turned to Zhongli. “Shall we fetch Ei first or Nahida?”

“Let’s get Ei,” Zhongli decided, his tone gentle as he took Venti’s hand. Their fingers intertwined naturally, a silent testament to their bond. As they moved away from the harbor, a bright teal and golden glow enveloped them. Zhongli’s form shifted into a majestic dragon, his scales shimmering with Geo essence, while Venti embraced his Archon regalia, his wings unfurling gracefully.

---

In Sumeru, Ei was busy learning about society under the guise of a wandering swordswoman. When she encountered the familiar faces of Venti and Zhongli, she was surprised.

“Oh wow,” Venti laughed, “you actually followed through with what old Zhongli said you would.”

Zhongli, beside him, looked smug. “I always knew she would.”

Ei, crossing her arms, raised an eyebrow. “What do you want?”

“We’re here to gather everyone for a holiday!” Venti said with a bright grin. “It’s all sponsored by us!”

Despite Ei’s initial reluctance, she agreed to join them after a brief conversation about her duties.

As they approached the Sanctuary of Surasthana, Venti's excitement was palpable. “We’re visiting Furina next. She’s hosting a festival soon!”

Nahida, the young Dendro Archon, was already there, her presence gentle and welcoming. “I heard you were coming,” she said with a warm smile.

Venti turned to Zhongli, who looked at Nahida with a fond smile. “Let’s go see Furina,” he said softly, squeezing Venti’s hand gently.

“Oh,” Venti teased with a playful smile, “my husband has friends outside of us?”

Zhongli rolled his eyes affectionately but said nothing, content to enjoy the moment with Venti by his side.