25. Thane's Loyalty

A/N: The next chapter is being changed up a bit. Will be releasing it soon. 

Entering Thane's quarters Shepard saw the Drell sitting at a desk that looked out into the engine room.

Thane had his hands folded together as he looked to be patiently waiting for Shepards arrival.

Thane: Shepard.

Thane greeted.

Shepard: You wanted to talk?

Thane: Yes.

Thane was quiet for a moment before continuing.

Thane: I mentioned when we met on Illium that I was dying. It's called Kepral Syndrome. It's not communicable but I have less than a year to live.

Thane informed Shepard with his voice sounding steady.

SHepard: I understand and I'm sorry to hear that, however if that's why you called me down here you should know that I won't keep you here. You can leave if you wish.

Thane shook his head.

Thane: No. However as I face the end of my body's time here, I find myself dwelling on my mistakes.

Thane stood up from his desk and stood in front of Shepard.

Thane: I had a family once. I still have a son. His name is Kolyat. I haven't seen him in a very long time.

Shepard: How long has it been since you talked?

Shepard asked.

Thane: Ten years. He showed me his school work and asked if we could dance crazy. We did that when he was younger.

Thane answered with a hint of fondness in his voice.

Shepard: What sort of dance is that?

Shepard asked curiously.

Thane: It's– 'I check my extranet contacts. I expect an update on my next target. The console plays music. Old. Unfashionable. Kolyat jumps into the room. "Hi, father" Runs around in circles. I scoop him up. Toss him in the air. He shrieks, laughs. "Spin me!" The console beeps. I put him down. Click the message. "Father," he pleads. Tugs my sleeve. "I need to read this." I say, I don't look at him.

Thane went on to describe his moment in a daze until he came out of it leaving Shepard surprised.

Shepard: You never mentioned this before. Why now?

Thane: When my wife departed from her body. I–attended to the issue. I left Kolyat in the care of his aunts and uncles.

Shepard: That's not the choice I expected. Why didn't you raise him yourself?

Shepard asked, wanting to know why Thane didn't stay with his son when he needed him the most.

Thane: My body is blessed with the skills to take life. The Hanar honed them in me. I have few others. I didn't want that life for Kolyat. I hoped he would find his own way. If he hated me, so be it. He would not have shared the path of sin.

Shepard understood. Thane didn't want his son to be like him. He wanted his son to have a life free of danger.

Thane continued.

Thane: I used my contacts to trace Kolyat. He has become...disconnected. He does what his body wills.

Thane spoke with concern.

Shepard: What's wrong with him? Is he hurt?

Thane: Something happened that should not have. He knows where I've been, what I've done. I don't know his reasons, but he has gone to the Citadel. He has taken a job as a hit man. I would like your help to stop him. He is... This is not the path he should walk.