Never Enough

Trigger Warnings: Anxiety, Mental Health, Emotional Distress

Charlie's POV

Morning came too soon, the soft light filtering through the blinds, casting long shadows across the room. I blinked against the brightness, disoriented for a moment before the events of the previous night rushed back. My chest tightened with the memory of the nightmare, the vividness of it still clinging to the edges of my consciousness. But then I felt the warmth of someone beside me, and the panic started to ebb.

I turned my head slightly and saw Nick still lying next to me, his eyes closed, his breathing slow and steady. He had stayed, just like he promised. For a moment, I just watched him, grateful beyond words that he was here. He must have sensed I was awake because his eyes fluttered open, a sleepy smile tugging at his lips.

"Hey," he whispered, his voice rough with sleep. "How are you feeling?"

I took a moment to consider the question. The usual anxiety was still there, lurking beneath the surface, but it was tempered by the comfort of Nick's presence. "Better," I admitted quietly, though there was a part of me that still felt on edge. "Thanks for staying."

"Of course," Nick said, sitting up and stretching. "I wasn't going to leave you alone after that. Did you sleep okay after?"

"Yeah, I think so," I replied, though I wasn't entirely sure. The sleep had been fragmented, full of uneasy dreams that I couldn't quite remember. But it was better than nothing. "I'm just... tired, I guess."

Nick nodded in understanding. "That's normal, Charlie. After everything you've been through, it's going to take time to feel like yourself again. But you're doing the right thing by talking about it, by letting us help."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I know. It's just... hard. Every time I close my eyes, it's like I'm back at that race. It feels so real, like I'm failing all over again."

"You didn't fail," Nick said firmly, turning to face me. "You crossed that finish line, remember? You won, Charlie. And even if you hadn't, that wouldn't have been a failure. What matters is that you pushed through, that you didn't give up."

I swallowed hard, the weight of his words sinking in. "It's just so hard to remember that when the nightmares come. It's like my brain is determined to make me relive it over and over."

"I know," Nick said softly, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "But that's why you've got people around you to remind you. You don't have to carry this burden alone. We're all here to help you, every step of the way."

His words were comforting, but there was still a part of me that struggled to believe them. I knew Nick was right-I had people who cared about me, who wanted to help-but the fear and doubt were always there, whispering in the back of my mind.

"Do you want to talk about the nightmare?" Nick asked gently, his gaze steady and patient.

I hesitated, but then I nodded. "It was the race again. I won, but then... everything went wrong. I fainted, and it felt like everyone was disappointed in me. Like I let them down."

Nick's expression softened with understanding. "Charlie, no one was disappointed in you. We were all worried, sure, but not disappointed. You've been through so much, and no one expects you to be perfect. We just want you to be okay."

"I'm trying," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "I really am."

"I know," Nick replied, squeezing my shoulder. "And that's all anyone can ask of you. Just keep trying, and let us help you when it gets too hard. You're stronger than you think, Charlie."

His words lingered in the air, offering a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, I could get through this. I didn't have to do it alone.

"I'll try to remember that," I said, managing a small smile. It wasn't much, but it was something.

Nick smiled back, a warmth in his eyes that made me feel a little less alone. "That's all I ask."

The rest of the morning passed in a quiet haze. We stayed in bed a little longer, talking about nothing in particular, just enjoying the comfort of each other's company. It was nice, in a way, to have this time to just be, without the weight of expectations or fears hanging over us.

Eventually, we both got up and made our way downstairs, where Liam was waiting with breakfast already laid out on the table. He looked up when we entered, a relieved smile spreading across his face. "Morning, you two. How are you feeling, Charlie?"

"Better," I said, and for the first time in a long time, I actually meant it.

We ate breakfast together, the conversation light and easy, filled with moments of laughter that felt like a balm to my soul. For the first time in what felt like forever, I felt a sense of normalcy creeping back in, a small sliver of hope that maybe things would get better.

And as I sat there with Nick and Liam, I realized that maybe, just maybe, I wasn't as alone as I had thought. I had people who cared about me, who were willing to stay by my side even in the darkest of times. And with their support, I knew I could keep going, one day at a time.

---

**End of Chapter**