I'm Fine - V.C

Y/N's POV:

I sat down in a slumped form at my usual desk for first period. My friend, Jasmine, leaned over and looked at me. "Are you okay?"

I hadn't responded to any texts over the last two weeks from anyone ever since the shooting happened. I was forced to come back to school when we were allowed to.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I gave her a tight lipped smile that she seemed expectedly happy with. I let out a small breath and focused on the teacher. I looked to the side a little to see Vada Cavell looking at me but as soon as we made eye contact, she looked away.

-

"Hey, Y/N."

Joshua ran up to me during pe. I rolled my eyes to myself as I reluctantly took my earbuds out and looked at him. "Yeah?"

"Why didn't you answer my texts? You good?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I placed my headphones back in and watched as he shrugged, walking away as I continued to do what I was doing. As I caught the soccer ball with my foot, I looked up at the bleachers to see Vada looking at me.

And once again, she looked away when we made eye contact.

-

I was walking to my next class but I had to make a quick stop at my locker. I opened it and saw my other friend walking up to me.

"Hi!" Samantha greeted me with a cheerful smile. My deadpanned expression remained the same. "Where have you been? I sent you like a million texts and you didn't respond to any of them."

"I was busy." I muttered, hoping she'd catch the hint but, of course, she didn't.

"Doing what?"

I sighed. "Nothing. I'm fine." I gave her a fake smile causing her to turn around with a laugh, leaving me alone. I rolled my eyes and grumbled under my breath as I slammed my locker shut. No one else seemed to be in the halls anymore but as I turned around, I saw Vada leaning against her locker.

You guessed it... looking at me. But this time she didn't look away when we made eye contact.

"You have a real staring problem." I broke the silence between us with a defensive statement. Vada smiled slightly.

"I know." She whispered and pushed herself off the lockers, walking towards me. "You know it's okay to not be fine, right?" I squinted my eyes in confusion at her.

"I-"

Vada cut me off, "I know what it's like. Lying to the people around you so they wouldn't worry or bother you with annoying questions." She looked up at me with doe eyes. "It's okay to not be okay, Y/N."

I just looked at her — my face did soften as she said those words.

Vada grabbed my phone and typed her number in, creating a contact for herself. "If you ever need someone to not be okay with, just call me." She flashed me cute grin. "I'll always answer."

—————
A/N:
just a very cute Vada one today 🤭