Chapter 1 She Was Dying

"Ms. Richardson, didn't your family come with you?"

Caroline Richardson was confused.

She was just here to pick up a medical report.

Did she really need someone with her?

Family... what family did she have?

Her mom died giving birth to her, her dad only saw her as a moneymaker, and her brother blamed her for their mom's death and hated her.

As for her lover... she stole him.

If the doctor hadn't mentioned "family," she might have forgotten what it meant.

Caroline was stunned for a moment, then shook her head.

"Just me."

The doctor frowned, pushed up his glasses, and sighed heavily, his eyes full of regret and helplessness as he handed a stack of lab reports to Caroline.

"Ms. Richardson, the test result is here. It's advanced stomach cancer."

He seemed to pity this young woman with terminal cancer, speaking and acting with utmost care.

Caroline's breath hitched as she took the lab report. Her brows knitted together as she looked at the various numbers.

Though she wasn't a medical professional, she could tell how severe her condition was.

In truth, she had a vague sense of something being wrong during the gastroscopy, but she didn't dare think about it.

The doctor pointed to the images and explained them to Caroline, who was lost in a daze, listening numbly.

In the end, the doctor gathered that she didn't have much time left and needed to be hospitalized for chemotherapy as soon as possible.

How long can someone live with advanced stomach cancer?

Caroline knew better than anyone; because her grandfather had struggled on his sickbed for two years before he passed away.

The doctor kindly suggested, "Ms. Richardson, we recommend you get hospitalized for treatment as soon as possible."

"Will hospitalization... cure me?" Caroline's voice was hoarse, and her expression was so numb, as if she were talking to herself.

The doctor was silent for a moment and then said, "There are overseas medical teams specializing in this; there's perhaps some hope."

Well, then it's not worth treating, thought Caroline.

She licked her dry lips, stood up, and stuffed all the diagnosis paperwork into her bag.

Then she said thank you and turned to leave the examination room.

When she stepped out of the hospital, it was raining. The rain mixed with the cold wind felt like knives cutting her face.

Caroline opened her bag, took out an umbrella, and opened it. The rain angled down, leaving her cold despite the umbrella.

She hailed a cab back to District C of Knoll City, tore the diagnosis papers into pieces, and threw them into the trash bin at the entrance.

A gust of cold wind blew, and Caroline wiped the dried tears from her face, reverting back to her usual calm and composed self, though her eyes remained swollen and her face was very pale.

Exhausted, she went upstairs, turned the key halfway to the left, and opened the door.

Her foggy brain instantly cleared when she sensed something different in the room.