Chapter 2 Charles, Were You Trying to Kill Me?

Caroline Richardson waited for almost half an hour but still didn't get a reply from Charles Chapman.

She glanced at the time, thinking he probably wouldn't come back at this hour.

The blood on her hand had dried up, feeling sticky and uncomfortable.

Caroline propped up her weary body and went to the bathroom to wash off the blood.

The cold water was chilling to the bone.

Back in her room, she poured herself a cup of hot water and took her painkillers and cancer medication.

Malcolm Conner had given her some strong painkillers that contained anesthetic.

She only took them when the pain was unbearable because they were addictive and could mess with her nerves if overused.

She poured all the pills out, put them in a regular jar, and tossed it into the drawer.

She didn't care about Charles anymore—just a 16-year crush, 6 years of companionship, and 4 years of marriage.

Letting go wasn't a big deal!

At dawn, Caroline woke up.

She didn't have the habit of staying in bed, so she immediately called her lawyer to draft a divorce agreement and send it over.

Lawyer Bryan was shocked to hear she wanted a divorce.

He was curious but didn't ask much, only inquiring about the contents of the divorce agreement, like property division.

Such detailed terms are best drafted in person.

Caroline hesitated for a moment and asked, "Mr. Bryan, are you free today?"

Bryan replied, "Yes."

Caroline then said, "Can you come over so we can discuss it in detail?"

Bryan agreed, saying, "Sure, I'll get ready and head over."

Bryan was the legal director of the Richardson Group, so she trusted him.

Apart from the divorce agreement, she also needed to discuss her will with him.

Caroline sent him the address and then sat at her vanity.

Even if she didn't go out, she was used to putting on makeup to make her sickly face look a bit more lively.

Looking at her bright reflection in the mirror, Caroline smiled.

She still had a tomorrow.

Worried that Bryan hadn't had breakfast, Caroline made two portions of breakfast.

Just past nine in the morning, the doorbell rang.

Caroline took off her apron and hung it on the wall before opening the door. Sure enough, it was Bryan.

"Ms. Richardson."

"Come in, have you eaten?" Caroline asked.

Bryan followed her in and said, "I've already eaten."

Hearing that he'd already eaten, Caroline felt embarrassed to eat breakfast herself.

So she quickly drank a glass of milk and then poured a cup of tea, bringing it to the living room.

Bryan didn't waste any time. He sat down and took out his laptop.

When he heard that Caroline wanted to transfer most of the Richardson Group's shares to an orphanage, he looked at her in surprise, his hands pausing on the keyboard.