Chapter 7 Charles, I Can Live Without You

Caroline Richardson didn't go out.

The first day was bearable, but as time went on, her body felt worse and worse.

Caroline lay in bed, her cold sweat soaking and drying repeatedly. Her face, already pale, now matched the color of the wall behind her. In the dim light, she looked almost transparent.

She had never felt time pass so slowly. Especially at night, sitting in the dark, it seemed like time had stopped.

Numbly, she closed her eyes, her mind foggy.

As a cancer patient, her body was extremely weak, and the slightest mishap could cause a fever.

She touched her head; without a thermometer, she had to rely on her hand. Her temperature was indeed rising.

Her eyes were dry and sore. Open, they hurt; closed, she couldn't sleep.

As time dragged on, her mind became sluggish, like a rusted machine that wouldn't work properly.

She curled up tighter under the blanket, hugging herself. Despite being wrapped up, her body felt cold. Every pore seemed to be exuding cold air, making her toes curl up.

Her stomach hurt so much that it felt like even the surrounding organs were in pain, as if they were being corroded by the cancer cells along with her stomach.

Caroline clenched her teeth, the sound echoing in the room.

At this moment, Caroline was using all her strength to fight the pain, unaware of the chaos outside.

The Richardson Group faced its biggest crisis, with stocks plummeting, and Caroline's disappearance left everyone at the company in a panic.

Calvin Richardson had also taken a hit. His recent real estate investment turned out to be a coal mine, which collapsed.

No matter how much the entire Richardson Group tried to save him, it couldn't be done.

Overnight, Caroline went from the heiress of the Richardson family to the daughter of a criminal, condemned online by everyone.

Calvin's court sentence was scheduled for 10 a.m.

And Charles planned to take Caroline to see her father get sentenced to death.

He thought her reaction at that moment would be very interesting.

Charles was in a good mood, driving with a smile on his lips.

When he got back to the villa, he went straight to the bedroom.

The whole place was silent, making it hard to believe anyone else was there.

Charles slowly pushed the door open.

The room was dark, the curtains blocking all the windows and keeping the light out.

Charles looked around and finally saw Caroline curled up in a corner of the bed.

He turned on the light, and the slight noise made the woman on the bed tremble.

Charles frowned.

What was Caroline doing?

How come she hadn't responded even though he had come in?

"Caroline." Charles walked over and yanked the blanket off her.

After nearly four days alone in the room, Caroline looked pale and haggard, her lips tinged with blue. She seemed fragile, like a porcelain doll that could shatter with a touch.