Boss and Secretary

No one's POV

Taraji paced around her bedroom, holding her phone between her ear and shoulder as she rummaged through her closet. The room was filled with the morning light, spilling over the bed where an open suitcase sat, half-unpacked from her recent girls' trip. She pulled out a sleek black dress and held it up, appraising it in the mirror.

"I can't believe we have to go back to work already," Taraji groaned, her voice laced with exhaustion. "I feel like I need another vacation just to recover from the vacation."

On the other end of the line, Gabriella laughed. "Girl, I know exactly how you feel. This morning was a struggle. But at least you don't have to deal with clients breathing down your neck the way I do."

"True," Taraji conceded, slipping the dress on and adjusting it. "But that doesn't make me any more excited to head into the office today."

June chimed in, her voice teasing. "Come on, Taraji. You know you can't be that mad about going back to work. You get to spend all day with that fine ass boss of yours."

Taraji rolled her eyes, but she couldn't help the small smile that tugged at her lips. "Y'all need to quit it. Terrence is just my boss. It's not like that."

"Oh, please," Veronica interjected, her tone playful. "If I were in your shoes, I'd be throwing myself at him every chance I got. That man is too damn fine."

Taraji laughed, shaking her head as she reached for her earrings. "Y'all are a mess. You know I don't mix business with pleasure."

"Doesn't mean you can't admire the view," Gabriella added, her voice suggestive. "I know I would."

Taraji slipped on her heels and glanced at the clock. She still had a few minutes before she needed to leave, but the thought of returning to the office had her dragging her feet. "Alright, alright, enough about my boss. What's the plan for tomorrow? We're still on for brunch, right?"

"Absolutely," June said. "I made reservations at that new spot downtown. You know, the one with the rooftop patio. We're gonna get mimosas and talk all the shit we couldn't during the trip."

"Ooh, I've been dying to try that place," Taraji said, excitement creeping into her voice. "I'm so down. What time?"

"Let's do eleven," Veronica suggested. "Gives us time to sleep in a little but still have the whole afternoon to enjoy ourselves."

"Perfect," Taraji agreed. "I'll be there. And I expect all the details about what y'all got up to after I left the trip early."

"Oh, honey, you don't even know," Gabriella teased. "But don't worry, we'll fill you in on all the scandalous details."

Taraji laughed, feeling a little lighter as she grabbed her purse and headed for the door. "I can't wait. But for now, I've got to face reality and get to work. Pray for me."

"Girl, you got this," Veronica said, her voice warm with encouragement. "And remember, if Terrence starts looking too good to resist, just call one of us. We'll keep you in check."

"Y'all are too much," Taraji said, shaking her head with a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow. Love you!"

"Love you too!" her friends chorused before the line went dead.

As Taraji stepped out of her apartment and into the bustling city, she couldn't help but chuckle to herself. Her friends might have been over the top, but they always knew how to put a smile on her face—even when she was dreading the workday ahead. And as much as she hated to admit it, the thought of seeing Terrence didn't make going back to work all that bad after all.
_________________________________