Chapter 17: Bound by Grace

Izuku hovered his palm over the Site of Grace, the warmth emanating from the mote of light tingling his skin. That being said, he was confused as to how he could see it here, in Japan of all places... Was there something he was missing? Did the Greater Will's influence actually reach Earth?

Or was it here because he, as a Tarnished blessed with the Greater Will's grace, granted sight of the world he was in because of his mere existence. He still didn't know how it could affect the world, with him still being ignorant of the being, but since it was heralded as order, then it was good, right?

After all, they wanted a Tarnished to unite the Elden Ring and restore order. So, going by that logic, the Greater Will is on the spectrum of good... Maybe... Izuku was still clueless, what with nobody sane enough in the Lands Between giving him a concrete answer.

Sighing, Izuku slowly knelt before Grace and moved to seat himself comfortable on the concrete ground. Eyes gazing directly into the warm light, he felt his core be at peace as the soothing atmosphere calmed his nerves. Inhaling and exhaling deeply, he closed his eyes and let his body rest.

"Strange... The land here is..." Izuku's eyes open wide when he heard that oh so familiar voice. Slowly turning his neck, he watched as Melina knelt beside him her eyes focused on only his. "This is where you came from? I must admit, it is quite... different..."

"Melina." Izuku's voice lowered slightly, a soft tone echoing through the basement. "How are you here...?"

"I am bound to you, my companion... Until our accord is fulfilled." Melina averted her gaze to take in the empty surroundings. "But it is confusing... and heartwarming, seeing this world having a semblance of order."

"Heh, if you listened to Nezu, then you would change your mind." Izuku looked back at the Grace floating above the floor. "Everything here in this world is just one bad day away from total anarchy. I guess this is what happens when most of the entire population has power unique to only them."

Melina didn't respond, causing Izuku to look back at her once more.

"You've changed, once again." Melina's slightly monotone voice grew a tad emotional. "It is good to see you like this. Enjoying what you have in the moment."

"Well, let's just say that I had an eye-opening meeting with my mother." Izuku's tried to plaster a smile on his face, but only made it look brittle. If Melina noticed it or not, she didn't let him know.

"I see." Melina's voice trailed off as the two sunk into silence, a common thing that happens during Izuku's journey. "Shall I turn your runes into strength?"

"... Yes please." Izuku crawled over, arms outstretched as Melina offered hers.

"Let my hand rest upon you, for but a moment." She spouted the same lines. At first, Izuku thought he would be annoyed after the fifth or sixth time, but no. Instead, he grew used to it, he even looked forward to it. There was just something soothing with Melina's voice that Izuku's muscles continued to relax as the runes swirled inside him. "Share them with me, your thoughts, your ambitions, the principles you would follow."

A vision of a dragon, soaring high in the skies as it laid waste upon its adversaries. A vision of the past, of his mother welcoming him from school with a smile after a rather brutal beating from his former friend. A vision of a throne, one cracked and broken as it remained empty. A vision of him seating upon the empty throne, now polished with hints of gold...

Izuku's eyes snapped open, his muscles surging with newfound strength. There was even something within him that stirred, like a suppressed gout of fire, just waiting to be unleashed upon his foes.