𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 16 : 𝐄𝐯𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐮𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

I leaned back in my chair, the worn leather creaking under my weight as I scanned the dimly lit room. The glow from multiple screens cast eerie shadows across my face, highlighting the intensity in my eyes. Galina Federova, that's me, the mastermind behind the digital operations of the Russian mafia. And I take my work seriously. My fingers danced over the keyboard, a silent symphony of clicks and taps as I navigated through layers of encrypted data.

"Galina, we've got a problem," Vasily's voice cut through the silence, his tone urgent. He stood at the threshold of my makeshift office, his broad shoulders filling the doorway. Vasily is my second-in-command, like his father used to be my dads'.

"Spit it out, Vasily," I replied without looking away from the screen. My focus was laser-sharp, tracking the movements of several digital markers that represented our latest shipment-a cargo so valuable it could tip the scales of power in our favor.

"The Feds are onto us. They've intercepted a message about the shipment. We need to move now, or risk losing everything," he said, his words punctuated by the sound of his boots thudding against the concrete floor as he stepped closer.

I paused, my mind racing through contingency plans. "Give me five minutes. I can reroute the shipment and cover our tracks."

Vasily nodded, his expression grim. "Make it three. Time is not on our side."

With a flick of my wrist, I pulled up another screen, this one displaying a map of the city with blinking dots indicating police activity. I needed to act fast, but carefully. One wrong move and we'd be exposed.

My fingers flew across the keyboard, typing in commands to alter the digital footprint of the shipment. I changed GPS coordinates, falsified delivery manifests, and sent decoy signals to misdirect any surveillance. It was a risky game, but one I was adept at playing.

"Status?" Vasily asked, his voice low and tense.

"Almost there," I breathed, my eyes scanning the screens for any signs of detection. The clock ticked loudly in my head, each second feeling like an eternity.

Suddenly, a red alert flashed on one of the monitors. My heart leapt into my throat. "Shit, they're on to the decoy. Switching to plan B."

I initiated the backup protocol, diverting the shipment to an alternate route through the industrial district. It was a less secure path, but it would throw off the authorities long enough for us to execute our plan.

"Done," I announced, leaning back with a sigh of relief. "The shipment is en route to the new location. We need to move quickly to intercept it before anyone else does."

Vasily nodded, his jaw set firmly. "I'll gather the team. You get ready to move."

As he disappeared through the door, I pushed away from the desk, my body tingling with adrenaline. This was it, the moment of truth. I slipped on my leather jacket, ensuring my weapons were secure, and checked my phone for any updates.