chapter 1

Present Day

Present Day

"We've noticed a change in your daughter's behaviour.'' My mother looks at me with a pinch of concern hearing those words come out of Principle Aspen's mouth.

"Bradley High holds a fundamental role in ensuring that all students achieve excellence but this behaviour is unacceptable" he remarks, my eyes stare blankly on the ground with my hoodie hovering me.

"And i understand that, but Lorelei has been having trouble coping with her Father and i's recent divorce."

And there Lily goes making it all about herself and her failed marriage.

I become lost in thought, my body begins to tremble, my fingernails dig into the fabric of the armchair, the memories of that night crash over me like a tidal wave unable to control. My body becomes covered in a sheen of sweat, the memories of that night constantly playing in my head of me limping in the school hallway with my dress being torn and my body feeling weakened filled my mind of the traumatic memory that I did not want to relive.

How was I supposed to tell my parents that I was no longer their daisy, that I was dead. I was dead in youth, tenderness, pureness and innocence. Everything inside me died that night and so did my dignity as a girl. He took my girlhood and traded it with death.

7 months earlier

After years of living across the street from each other, attending the same high school, being invited to yearly neighbourhood social gatherings; he'd finally taken notice of me. Cameron Fields, captain of the Basketball team as well as Bradley High's star player. Winning a total of 21 games in one season. Carrying the legacy of his retired father Daniel Fields, who was also a former Basketball legend in Bradley High. The attention from the crowds, the pats on the back from his coach after winning every seasonal game; the intellection of girls wanting him, just like his father had reminisced his highschool years to him all fueled his love for the sport. That's what gave him his joie de vivre - being touchable but feeling untouchable why? Because he had every girl wrapped around his finger like a kite attached to a string, I was hardly ever noticeable to him, I was more like a ghost so why now ? Why me?

From across the cafeteria, he held his gaze fixed on me - I noticed his eyes were green which complimented his sun-washed blonde hair. His eyes reminded me of spring quite like the rich green leaves finally making their guest appearance as the pollen had blossomed. My eyes remained locked with his, causing my heart to beat steadily as he casually moves his toothpick around with his tongue, with all this dangerous tension yet sexual I remain uninterested and unimpressed - my face betraying no emotion even though my body feels differently. My body wanted him.

"Do guys really move on this quickly after a break up?" Nzinga murmured, witnessing the obvious tension between Cameron and I, switching her focus back to doom scrolling through Jessica Ennis instagram posts, visioning herself being the retired british track and field athlete who became an inspiration for her at eight years old.