Chapter 4

He tensed and asked slowly, "How?"

"Answer my few questions and help me get my wolf back." I said shrugging casually.

I saw a flash of concern pass by his face before beta asked, panic clear in his voice. "What do you mean by getting your wolf back? Surely you must have changed when fighting them." and pointed towards the bodies.

I scoffed, "You seriously underestimate me beta. They were not even worth my time and as for how I killed them," I waved my sword at him as to cover up my secret and continued,

"I am a rogue and need to be prepared for fight at anytime, anywhere. Since I left this pack, I am not able to contact my wolf and have not appeared however hard I try. So, for time being as my defense, this sword is acting like my claws. I would die the minute I stay weaponless when she is not around."

They nodded as if accepting my reasoning and I inwardly sighed and said, "So are you going to help me or what?" and looked expectantly at Alpha.

He was hesitating for some reason before he said, "Ok! But you need to leave as soon as she comes out."

This time I wasn't able to hide my hurt making him look away. I composed myself and nodded with stoic hard face and started walking towards the way they had come.

They were alert around me as five were walking in front, six behind while Alpha and Beta on either side of me. It felt like some procession. I was feeling uncomfortable with being so close to alpha/mate and so I forcefully pushed beta around and exchanged my place with him before he could protest.

I know I was creating problems for him but he was the only one I could think of, who wouldn't harm me. So, I had to do what I was doing. He was looking at me as if have-you-gone-mad but I just shrugged. After walking in silence for few minutes, I asked,

"So, beta, have you met your mate?"

He chuckled and said, "So now you want to make small talk?" and looked at me only for me to scowl at him. He again chuckled before he said,

"No, I haven't found mine yet. Still desperately waiting for her. Maybe one day she will cross my pack and we will meet." and sounded as if already in love.

I was surprised and said, "So you actually give importance to this mate bond? Like actually believe in it?"

He looked taken aback before scowling, "What type of question is that Jules? Of course, I do. Our whole pack, whether man/woman, earnestly wait to meet our mate. She is my other half, my life. How couldn't I?"

I was even more surprised at his answer and all I could mutter was "Oh!"

I glanced towards alpha, who was looking very uncomfortable. Beta must have picked up my thoughts for he just shook his head at me making me sigh.

"Will you talk about what happened back there?" he asked swiftly changing the subject.

"I thought I already told you what happened back there. What more do you think happened?" I asked getting bored of repeating myself again and again.

"No, what I mean is, you knew those rogues. Why do they want to kill you?" he asked half curiously half concerned.

"It's a long story beta. I will tell you when we have spare time." I said sighing as I thought about my past and how I was brought to this pack.

"Then let me help." I looked at him confusion as he continued, "While you were on bed, those rogues attacked the pack. But while attacking, they gave us some information like you killed their alpha just because he won't let you leave his pack." He paused and looked at me expectantly to confirm it.