Chapter 34

Dylan's Perspective

I was supposed to be taking a nap with Jazz right now, but for some reason, I just can't seem to fall asleep. I've been lying here, staring up at the ceiling, my thoughts racing too much to find any peace. It's frustrating because I know I need the rest, but no matter how much I try to relax, sleep just won't come.

It's not like I couldn't do something else to help the time go by. Usually, when I can't sleep, I'd mess with Braylen, but she's off with my mama, doing whatever they're doing.

So here I was, just stuck.

Then there was a knock at the door. I quickly got up and opened it, worried that if whoever was knocking kept at it, they might wake Jazmine.

I opened the door and saw Tony standing there. I started to close it, but he stopped me by putting his arm through.

"Let me say what I've got to say so I can go," he said.

I sighed and looked at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Your mama is upset about what happened yesterday. I don't like the tension that's been caused," Tony said.

"I—"

"I think it would be good to talk things out with everyone," Tony cut me off, his voice steady but with a hint of hesitation.

I felt my chest tighten at the suggestion. The idea of sitting down with them, of digging up all that old pain—it made me sick to my stomach. "No," I said quickly, shaking my head. "I don't want to."

Tony frowned, his expression a mix of concern and disappointment. "Dylan, do it for your mama," he urged gently.

My first instinct was to shut him down, to tell him to mind his own business, but I paused. I took a deep breath, letting the tension ease out of my shoulders, and for the first time, I actually let myself consider it. I mean, really think about it.

Could it help? Would it be worth it?

"When?" I asked, still feeling the weight of the decision hanging over me.

"In 15 minutes, at the table," Tony said, his tone firm.

I hummed, a low sound of finality, as I closed the door in his face. The click of the latch echoed in the quiet room.

"You good?" Jazmine's voice was groggy, the remnants of sleep clinging to her words as she woke up from her nap. She rubbed her eyes and looked at me, concern etched in her expression.

I nodded, crawling next to her on the bed, needing the comfort of her presence. "All good, baby," I whispered, trying to convince myself as much as her.

Jazmine's brow furrowed slightly as she turned to face me, her eyes still heavy with sleep. "You gone go talk to them people or you bullshittin'?" Her voice was laced with a hint of playfulness, but I could tell she was serious beneath it.

"Nah, Ima go for real," I sighed, the weight of the decision pressing down on me. "But can you come with me? I need you there."

Without a moment's hesitation, she nodded, her eyes already closing again. "Of course, just wake me up when you ready to go," she murmured, her hand reaching out to touch my arm lightly before she drifted back off to sleep.

I looked at her peaceful face, the comfort of having her next to me grounding me in a way nothing else could. I knew I had to face my demons, to confront the people who had hurt me, but right then, the warmth of Jazmine's body next to mine was more appealing than anything else.

"Ahhh, they can wait 20 minutes," I whispered to myself, a small smile tugging at my lips as I settled in next to her, letting my eyes close.

———