Chapter 6 - Together Again

Maybe it's not good that the Empire found them, but Hunter's back, and right now, Omega can't really care about anything else. "So," she says finally, opting to ignore the still mildly disturbing fact that Hunter just bit Tech. Crosshair had biting issues when he was little, but Hunter never did. Wrecker and Crosshair would chew on anything they could get their hands on and scream when she took it away. Tech just stared at them, wide-eyed – that's one thing that hasn't changed. Hunter was often quiet, never noisy, though he was easily... bothered by the strangest things. Nala Se said it was something about his senses. Sometimes, he liked touch. Sometimes, he didn't. "What happens now?"

Hunter turns to her, crouching, expression tightening with worry. "Crosshair... hasn't had time to accept you as one of us," he says slowly, and Omega instantly feels her gut flip. She doesn't know what this means, but it's nothing good. "He doesn't... want to take you with him."

No. Nononono. She did not find her way back to them only to be separated again.

"I'm staying with you," Omega replies fiercely.

"I – I tried to convince him," Hunter says, "But... the truth is, you're not a soldier."

No. No. "I'm one of you," she argues hotly, tears burning her eyes. She won't let this happen. They can't – she can't live without them. Not again. "You can't just let him do this!"

"I don't know how to stop him. I'm sorry, Omega."

"No!" she snaps back sharply, turning away. She can't accept that.

"Perhaps there is another option," Tech suggests.

"What would you suggest?" Hunter asks, standing again.

"I am uncertain," he answers slowly.

If Crosshair doesn't want to accept her – that hurts enough that she can't even start processing it – she needs to give him a reason. Maybe... "You can turn me, too," she offers, "If I'm a vampire, too, he would be bonded to me, too, right?"

"I'm bonded to him because he turned me," Hunter answers slowly, "But – yes. It would work. I can feel Wrecker."

She wants to know what he means by feel. It sounds... She wants to know what it's like, what exactly it was that forced them to leave Hunter again. She wants to know what it was that made Hunter... he's not being himself right now, either. "Then you can turn me, too."

"We don't know what all the effects of this are."

"I don't care," she says sullenly, "He already turned you." It can't be that bad. Really. Omega was here after they lost him, even if it was only a couple days. It's been hard. The ship feels too empty, and they feel lost. Wrecker's been so quiet, and Tech has been snapping at everyone non-stop.

"It could hurt you."

"I'm not afraid of that." She knew being hurt was a given if she joined them, and she didn't care. All that mattered was being with them. She's – she's always wanted to be with them. To be what they are. She doesn't care what might come with that. "Whatever happens to you, I want to be me, too."

Hunter glances up at Tech again and sighs. "It would work," he admits grudgingly as he crouches in front of her again. "I... think it's the best choice we have."

She's not afraid of this. It's a little... unnerving, definitely, and Omega has no idea what will come with it, but it is what her brothers are. "I don't mind," Omega says again, firmly, "But... what's it like?"

"We're drawn to blood," Hunter answers slowly, "I don't know exactly how far it goes. I... fed on Crosshair –" Omega tries her best not to ask you drank his blood?? like she very badly wants to. She's trying to reassure Hunter she can handle this. Freaking out about it won't let that happen. "And it's not... that overwhelming anymore. But it will hurt."