chapter five

I slept like a baby, my thoughts for some reason drifting to how comfortable it was sitting next to Logan all day yesterday. His presence felt protective in a nice way.

I got up and showered and changed into a comfy jumper and shorts with some ankle socks and trainers. I don't know how formal I have to dress for work just yet, but I feel like today is going to be a big day, so I might as well be cozy.

I walked out of my room and searched for Xavier so we could talk about work. Eventually, I reached the kitchen and spotted a familiar muscular back searching the fridge.

"Hey! Do you know where Xavier is? I'm supposed to talk to him today?"

Logan turned and gave me a smirk while chewing on whatever snack he had found.

"Yeah, he's teaching a lesson, so you might have to wait a while... but I think Jean mentioned something this morning about you visiting the lab? Maybe you could head there."

I nodded and took a few steps before thinking... I don't know where the lab is.
That's when I felt a tap on my shoulder as Logan passed me.

"Come on bub" He teased.

I quickly followed behind, struggling not to watch his back muscles move as he swayed with his walk. We went downstairs where the building was entirely white and turned a corner.

"Right, here we are. Good luck."
He waved and walked away.

"Thank you!" I called out but with no response.

I turned and knocked awkwardly. Do you knock on modern sliding doors?

Well either way, they opened, and I was greeted with a smiling redhead.

"Hi! You must be y/n. Me and Xavier spoke yesterday once I got back. He wants me to run a few tests on you to see if we can further understand your abilities. Are you okay with that?"

I nodded and followed behind her as she gestured for me to sit on a sort of hospital bed thing.

"So I'll want to take a blood sample, then connect these to you to analyse your brain patterns. Is that all fine?" She explained warmly.

I nodded, and she got straight to work, cleaning the equipment and then preparing me for the needle.
The blood collection was quick and harmless, and when she took the needle out and prepared to put a plaster over, I chuckled at her curious expression.

"Okay, so I'll write down hyperactive healing." She half joked as she scribbled something down.

"I'll just look at this sample quickly. it shouldn't take too long." She wandered away to a microscope and put the blood on a tray.

I kicked my feet over the edge of the bed and looked around the room. It's all very techy.

"Interesting..." Jean whispered to herself.

I looked over, and she took her computer over to me to show me something. To me, it just looked like moving blobs.

"Your DNA is extremely malleable...I Think your abilities are that you can easily manipulate your own anatomy. Obviously, your body won't want any open wounds, so healing is a given."

I nodded along, slightly lost in all the big words.

"It's an extremely fascinating ability...I'm sure you and Xavier can explore its limits further." She smiled excitedly.

I wasn't sure quite what to say. Hearing facts about my own body was quite strange but at least this helps me to understand myself better.

"Are you happy to do the brain activity scans now as well?"