Chapter 5: Seeking Guidance

Eleanor was sitting at the kitchen table, her eyes filled with worry as she watched Valerie pace nervously. The tension in the room was palpable. Finally, Valerie took a deep breath and began to speak.

"Mom, I need to tell you something," she said, her voice trembling slightly.

"I found a hidden library in an abandoned house at the outskirts of the city and I discovered a book that changed my thoughts about my life."

Eleanor's eyes widened in surprise. "A hidden library? How did you find it?"

Valerie explained how she had stumbled upon the secret library while exploring the abandoned house. She described the vast collection of books, each one a treasure trove of knowledge.

"And what was the book you found so inspiring?" Eleanor asked.

Valerie smiled. "It was a biography about a woman who overcame incredible adversity to achieve her goals. She faced challenges similar to mine, and her story gave me the courage to fight back against my father's tyranny."

Eleanor listened intently, her heart filled with a mix of relief and pride. She was so glad that Valerie had found something that had given her hope and strength.

Eleanor then decided to reveal her own secret. "I went to see Margaret, the elderly neighbour nextdoor today when you were outside. " she said. "I was so worried about you, and I needed advicA"

Valerie looked up, her eyes filled with curiosity. "What did she say?"
"She suggested that you reach out to Mr. Harper, a professor at the local university," Eleanor replied. "He's a kind and understanding man, and he may be able to help you."
Valerie's eyes lit up with hope. "Mr. Harper? I've heard of him. He's a renowned psychologist, isn't he?"
Eleanor nodded. "Yes, he is. He's known for his work with troubled young people. I think he could be a great mentor for you."
A slight smile came into Valerie's lips. She said, "I'd love to meet him. Thank you, Mom."She hugged Eleanor and left to her room to plan about the meeting with her prospective mentor.

Valerie's Journey Continues
Valerie spent the next few days searching diligently for Mr. Harper's contact information. She visited local bookstores, libraries, and even asked around at the community center.
Finally, after days of searching, she struck gold. A kind bookseller at a local bookstore, known for selling motivational books, remembered hearing Mr. Harper's name in conversation with a student. The bookseller provided Valerie with Mr. Harper's office number.
Valerie's Heart was pounding and mind racing. She thought to herself, "I can't believe I actually found it. Mr. Harper's number. This could be the chance I've been waiting for. But what if he doesn't want to help? What if he thinks I'm just another troubled kid?"* She took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. “I have to do this. For myself, for Mom.”

Valerie dials the number, her hand shaking slightly.
Mr. Harper: Hello, this is Mr. Harper.

Valerie: (Nervously) Um, hello. My name is Valerie. I'm calling from the city.

Mr. Harper: How can I help you, Valerie?

Valerie: (Hesitantly) I... I have heard of you from my neighbour. Your support for students has really inspired me. I'm going through a tough time right now, and I was wondering if you might be able to offer some advice.

Mr. Harper: Of course, Valerie. I'm always happy to help. What's going on?

Valerie: (Tears welling up in her eyes) Well, it's a long story, but basically, I'm being abused by my father. And I don't know what to do.

Mr. Harper: (Voice filled with compassion) I'm so sorry to hear that, Valerie. Abuse is never okay. Have you talked to anyone about this?

Valerie: (Shakes her head) Not really. I'm afraid of what he might do if he found out.

Mr. Harper: It's important to talk to someone, Valerie. You don't have to go through this alone. Would you like to meet with me in person? We can talk more about your situation.

Valerie: (Relieved) Yes, please. That would be great.

Mr. Harper: Wonderful. How about we meet next week?

Valerie: (Smiling) That sounds perfect. Thank you, Mr. Harper.

As she lay in bed that night, a sense of peace washed over Valerie. For the first time in a long time, she felt a glimmer of hope.

The thought of meeting Mr. Harper the following week filled her with a strange mixture of excitement and trepidation. She was nervous about sharing the details of her life with a stranger, but she also felt a deep sense of relief.

Finally, she would have someone to talk to, someone who might be able to offer her guidance and support.

As she drifted off to sleep, Valerie imagined herself sitting across from Mr. Harper, pouring out her heart to him. She pictured him listening attentively, offering words of encouragement and understanding.

In her mind, she saw herself emerging from this meeting feeling stronger, more empowered, and ready to face the challenges ahead.

How was the chapter? Will Valerie meet her mentor? Or will there be an obstacle in meeting her mentor?

Stay tuned.

Do comment of your thoughts about this story, chapter and anything of the plot you would like! I am all ears to hear about it!

If you enjoyed the chapter, do vote and comment to encourage me to write more.

If you have any suggestions to improve my story, do comment!

Any Questions?

Happy Reading!

X Hira X