10

Sera sometimes wondered if Dursley Family was even sane and that was rich coming from a girl who read books about blood magic and necromancy but honestly if they touched even a singly blue strand of Galadriel, Sera will rip them a new one. She was here for the necessary three days she had to spend with Dursley to avoid tipping off Dumbledore before she went on her own way. Vernon had a meeting with someone important and much to her disbelief those buffoons were actually rehearsing for it and apparently she had to be there as well. Sera silently read her book on blood magic keeping an ear out.

Vernon cleared his throat importantly and said, "Now, as we all know, today is a very important day."

Sera hummed absentmindedly making a mental note to go over the investments she has made. The last time she checked she was doing well. "This could well be the day I make the biggest deal of my career," said Vernon. Some rich builder and his wife were coming to dinner and he was hoping to get a huge order from him (Vernon's company made drills).

"I think we should run through the schedule one more time," said Vernon.

"We should all be in position at eight o'clock. Petunia, you will be –?"

"In the lounge," said Aunt Petunia promptly, "waiting to welcome them graciously to our home."

"Good, good. And Dudley?"

"I'll be waiting to open the door." Dudley put on a foul, simpering smile. "May I take your coats, Mr and Mrs Mason?"

"They'll love him!" cried Aunt Petunia rapturously. Sera rolled her eyes.

"Excellent, Dudley," said Uncle Vernon.

Then he rounded on her. "And you?" Sera raised her eyes from the book to stare at him flatly. It seemed to work because he backs off "Try not to make trouble, girl" Vernon nastily spoke up but Sera could see fear in the man's eyes. She didn't bother giving him a response as she silently turned back to her book.

"I will lead them into the lounge, introduce you, Petunia, and pour them drinks. At eight fifteen –"

"I'll announce dinner," said Aunt Petunia.

And Dudley, you'll say –"

"May I take you through to the dining room, Mrs Mason?" said Dudley, offering his fat arm to an invisible woman.

"My perfect little gentleman!" sniffed Aunt Petunia. Oh god.

"Now, we should aim to get in a few good compliments at dinner. Petunia, any ideas?"

"Vernon tells me you're a wonderful golfer, Mr Mason ... Do tell me where you bought your dress, Mrs Mason ..."

"Perfect ... Dudley?"

"How about: "We had to write an essay about our hero at THE WORST BIRTHDAY 11 school, Mr Mason, and I wrote about you." ' This was too much for both Petunia and Sera. Petunia burst into tears and hugged her son, while Sera raised her book higher to cover her face so they wouldn't see her laughing.

"And you, you'll be in your room, making no noise and pretending you are not here," he spat out and Sera was a bit impressed at the pure venom in his tone. "The Masons don't know anything about you and it's going to stay that way. When dinner's over, you take Mrs Mason back to the lounge for coffee, Petunia, and I'll bring the subject round to drills. With any luck, I'll have the deal signed and sealed before the News at Ten. We'll be shopping for a holiday home in Majorca this time tomorrow."

"Right – I'm off into town to pick up the dinner jackets for Dudley and me." He stared at her like he would have loved to say more to her but Sera didn't think the man had the guts to, not after that accident. Sera focused some of her magic in her eyes making them glow and Vernon flinched back. She allowed a tiny smirk to make its way on her lips as she silently made her way out through the back door.