Chapter 1: The Proposition

The low hum of fluorescent lights filled the small, windowless room. The air was thick with the smell of antiseptic and stale coffee, the kind of place where bad news was delivered with a cold detachment. Lena Brooks sat in a hard plastic chair, her fingers drumming restlessly against the armrest. Her eyes were fixed on the closed door across from her, waiting for the doctor to emerge.

She knew the news wouldn't be good. It never was.

When the door finally creaked open, Dr. Harrison stepped out, his face etched with the same weary expression Lena had seen on countless others. He hesitated for a moment, glancing at the chart in his hand before meeting her gaze.

"Lena," he began, his voice gentle but firm. "We've done all we can for now. But the next steps... They're going to be costly."

Lena swallowed hard, her chest tightening. She'd already spent every penny she had, and then some. The medical bills for her twin sister, Emily, were mounting faster than she could pay them off. And the money she made from her contract work, while substantial, wasn't nearly enough.

"How much?" she asked, her voice strained.

The figure he gave her was staggering, and for a moment, Lena felt the room tilt slightly, as if the ground beneath her was slipping away. But she didn't let it show. Instead, she nodded stiffly and stood up.

"Thanks, Doc," she said, her tone clipped.

Dr. Harrison watched her with a mixture of sympathy and resignation. He knew she was a fighter, but even he wasn't sure how much more she could take. "If there's anything else we can do—"

"There isn't," Lena interrupted, already heading for the door. She didn't have time for false hope.

As she stepped into the hallway, the sterile white walls closed in around her, and she fought the urge to scream. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. She had served her country, bled for it, and now all she had to show for it was a ruined knee and a sister hanging on by a thread.

She needed a miracle. Or at least a hell of a lot of money.

Vivian Cross leaned back in her leather office chair, her sharp eyes scanning the reports in front of her. The office was immaculate, a reflection of the woman herself—every item precisely placed, every surface spotless. The only hint of warmth in the room was the sunlight streaming through the floor-to-ceiling windows, casting long shadows across the marble floor.

The knock on the door was soft, tentative, as if the person on the other side was already dreading the interaction. Vivian allowed herself a small, satisfied smile before calling out, "Enter."

Her assistant, a young woman with wide eyes and a nervous disposition, stepped inside, clutching a tablet to her chest like a shield. "Ms. Cross, there's, um, someone here to see you. She says it's important."

Vivian arched an eyebrow. She wasn't in the mood for interruptions, but the way her assistant fidgeted suggested this was more than just another disgruntled shareholder or ambitious executive.

"Who is it?" Vivian asked, her tone laced with impatience.

"She, uh, wouldn't give her name," the assistant stammered. "But she said it's about... the arrangement."

Vivian's smile disappeared, replaced by a look of cold calculation. She knew exactly who was waiting for her. And she had been expecting this visit for some time now.

"Send her in," Vivian commanded, her voice like ice.

The assistant hurried out, and a moment later, the door opened again to reveal a woman who seemed utterly out of place in the pristine office. Lena Brooks was dressed in black cargo pants and a fitted leather jacket, her short, dark hair tousled as if she'd just stepped off a battlefield. Her eyes, however, were sharp and unyielding, matching Vivian's own steely gaze.

Lena strode into the room without waiting for an invitation, her movements fluid and purposeful. She took one look at the plush chair in front of Vivian's desk and decided to remain standing.

"Ms. Cross," Lena greeted her, her voice cool, almost dismissive.

Vivian studied her for a moment, intrigued by the defiance she sensed beneath Lena's calm exterior. She gestured to the chair. "Have a seat."

"I'd rather stand."

Vivian's lips twitched with amusement. "Suit yourself. I assume you know why you're here."

Lena's jaw tightened. "I need the money. But I don't like your terms."

Vivian leaned forward, folding her hands on the desk. "You don't have to like them. You just have to accept them."

Lena's fists clenched at her sides, but she forced herself to stay composed. "What exactly do you need me to do?"

Vivian's eyes glittered with something unreadable. "I need you to be my girlfriend."

The words hung in the air, absurd and yet completely serious. Lena stared at her, waiting for the punchline, but it never came.

Vivian continued, her tone as if she were discussing a business merger. "My family has been... pressuring me. They want to control my life, my decisions, and they've already done enough damage. I need someone who can play the part convincingly, someone who won't back down when things get... difficult."

Lena's heart pounded in her chest. She had done a lot of things for money, things she wasn't proud of, but this? This was different. And yet, as she thought of Emily lying in that hospital bed, her resolve hardened.

"Fine," Lena said, her voice steady. "But it's going to cost you."

Vivian's smile returned, cold and calculating. "I wouldn't expect anything less."