Chapter 6: Deepening Shadows

The next few days passed in a blur of tension and unease. Vivian maintained her stoic composure, going about her business as usual, but Lena could sense the undercurrent of stress that ran through everything she did. The meetings with Kincaid became more frequent, each one leaving Vivian more withdrawn and guarded.

Lena continued to play her part as the supportive girlfriend, attending public events and dinners by Vivian's side, always maintaining the perfect facade. But inside, she was gathering information, piecing together the puzzle that was quickly becoming more complex than she had anticipated.

Marcus had been true to his word. By the end of the week, he had sent Lena a detailed report on Jeremiah Kincaid—enough to confirm her suspicions. Kincaid was no ordinary businessman. He had a reputation for ruthless takeovers, often leaving companies in ruins after bleeding them dry. His involvement with CrossTech was troubling, to say the least, and it made Lena wonder what his true intentions were with Vivian.

As she reviewed the report in the quiet of her suite, Lena's mind raced with possibilities. Kincaid's past dealings suggested that he was playing a long game, one that could have devastating consequences if Vivian wasn't careful. But what was his endgame? And more importantly, how much did Vivian really know about it?

Lena was so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn't hear the door to her suite open. It wasn't until she felt the shift in the air that she looked up to see Vivian standing in the doorway, her expression unreadable.

"Vivian," Lena said, quickly closing the file on her laptop. "I didn't hear you come in."

Vivian's gaze flicked to the laptop, and Lena could see the questions in her eyes, though she didn't voice them. Instead, she stepped further into the room, closing the door behind her.

"We need to talk," Vivian said, her tone leaving no room for argument.

Lena nodded, setting the laptop aside as she focused entirely on Vivian. "What's going on?"

Vivian hesitated for a moment, her eyes searching Lena's as if weighing whether or not to trust her. Finally, she seemed to come to a decision and sat down on the edge of the bed, her posture rigid.

"There's something I need to tell you," Vivian began, her voice quiet but steady. "Something I've been keeping from you. But I need you to understand that it was for your protection."

Lena's heart rate quickened, but she kept her expression calm, waiting for Vivian to continue.

"The merger with Kincaid Industries," Vivian said, her gaze fixed on a spot on the floor. "It's not just a business deal. It's... complicated."

"How complicated?" Lena asked, her voice low, careful not to sound accusatory.

Vivian looked up, meeting Lena's eyes. "Kincaid isn't interested in CrossTech for the reasons he's claimed. He's after something else—something my family has kept hidden for years."

Lena frowned, leaning in slightly. "What is it?"

Vivian's expression hardened. "A controlling stake in the company. My father made some... unwise decisions years ago, and now Kincaid is trying to use that to his advantage. If he succeeds, he'll gain control of CrossTech, and everything my family has built will be at his mercy."

Lena felt a surge of anger on Vivian's behalf. "Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

"I didn't want to involve you in something so dangerous," Vivian admitted, her voice tinged with regret. "But things have escalated faster than I expected. Kincaid is putting pressure on my father, and he's starting to crack. If Kincaid gets what he wants... it could destroy everything."