Chapter 5: The Thin Line

The penthouse felt eerily quiet after the tense energy of the Cross estate. Lena walked to the large windows, looking out at the city below. The skyline was illuminated with the soft glow of the evening, the streets far below bustling with life. But up here, in the cool, sterile luxury of Vivian's world, it felt as though time had slowed to a crawl.

Vivian had retreated to her office almost immediately, the door closing with a decisive click that signaled she wasn't to be disturbed. Lena understood the unspoken rule—when Vivian shut the door, she needed to be alone. Still, Lena couldn't shake the sense of unease that had settled over her since they left the Cross estate.

Something was happening. Something Vivian wasn't sharing.

Lena knew better than to push her too soon. Trust was a fragile thing, and in this strange, transactional relationship, it was even more precarious. But that didn't mean Lena wasn't going to be prepared.

She wandered through the penthouse, taking in the sleek, minimalist decor, the cold perfection of it all. It was a far cry from the life she'd known—both as a soldier and before that, growing up in a modest, close-knit family. This place, for all its luxury, felt more like a fortress than a home.

Her footsteps echoed softly as she moved, the silence pressing in on her. She found herself back in the kitchen, where she poured herself a glass of water and leaned against the counter, trying to piece together the events of the day.

Daniel's questions had been pointed, too pointed for a casual conversation. And Edward—there was something about the way he had spoken about the merger, something that set off alarm bells in Lena's mind. It wasn't just curiosity. There was a challenge in his words, a warning even.

But what was the warning about?

Lena was pulled from her thoughts by the sound of the office door opening. Vivian emerged, her face composed but her eyes carrying the weight of whatever had transpired during that private call. She hesitated when she saw Lena standing there, as if surprised that she wasn't alone.

"Everything okay?" Lena asked, her voice carefully neutral.

Vivian nodded, though it was clear she wasn't fully at ease. "Yes. Just... business."

Lena could tell there was more to it than that, but she knew now wasn't the time to press. "Do you want to talk about it?" she offered, her tone casual, non-threatening.

Vivian looked at her, something flickering in her gaze—uncertainty, perhaps, or maybe a hint of vulnerability. But just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone, replaced by the familiar mask of control.

"There's nothing to talk about," Vivian said, brushing past Lena as she headed toward the kitchen. She poured herself a glass of water, her movements precise, almost mechanical.

Lena watched her carefully, noting the tension in her shoulders, the way her hands tightened slightly on the glass. "You know, I can't help if I don't know what's going on."

Vivian paused, her back to Lena, and for a moment, Lena thought she might actually open up. But then Vivian straightened, turning to face her with that same composed expression. "I appreciate the offer, but this is something I need to handle on my own."

Lena resisted the urge to sigh, instead giving a small nod. "Alright. But remember, we're in this together now. You don't have to do everything by yourself."

Vivian's eyes softened slightly, and for a brief moment, Lena saw a glimpse of the woman behind the CEO—someone who had been hurt, who had built walls so high that no one could reach her. But then, just as quickly, the moment passed.