Chapter 10: Justice Carried by His Son

Skylar sat alone in the empty auditorium of the Lightcrest Union Building, the vast space unnervingly quiet save for the occasional creak of the seats and the whirr of the projector he had just finished setting up. As part of the organizing committee, it was his responsibility to ensure everything was perfect for tonight's talk by Wilton Van Boxtel—a name that stirred a storm of conflicting emotions within him. Leaning back in his chair, he was engulfed by a flood of memories, transporting him to a time and place far removed from the sterile, impersonal walls of the university.

In his mind's eye, he was back on the island, his home, nestled in the Sea of Okhotsk. The island was a place of rugged beauty, where majestic cliffs met the crashing waves with a defiant strength that mirrored the spirit of its people. The air was crisp and salty, infused with the scent of the ocean and the earthy aroma of the pine trees that shrouded the island's inner reaches. The community, though part of a larger city-state, was tight-knit and resilient—a bastion of hope against the oppressive regime that hung over them like a dark, ever-present cloud.

Skylar could almost hear the laughter of children playing along the rocky shores. The island's beauty was stark and unyielding, with ancient forests stretching across the interior, their trees whispering secrets to the northern winds. In winter, the landscape became a serene blanket of white, with silence broken only by the call of seabirds and the sporadic crack of ice. Come spring, the rolling hills burst to life with fields of wildflowers swaying in the breeze. The sunsets were particularly breathtaking, painting the sky in hues of orange, pink, and purple, reflecting off the tranquil waters that encircled the island like a protective embrace, teeming with fish, seals, and whales surfacing to breathe the brisk air.

Skylar had grown up in the northern part of the island, in an area known as Baiyun Cliff. It was there, under the watchful eyes of the elders, that he learned the values of courage, loyalty, and sacrifice. They told stories of the island's past, of days when it was free, and these tales became the foundation of his beliefs.

His father, a man of steadfast conviction and strength, had been one of the leaders of the local resistance. The image of him standing in the doorway of their modest home was engraved into Skylar's brain, his silhouette stark against the setting sun as he spoke in hushed tones with fellow resistance members. Even as a child, Skylar felt the gravity of those meetings, a sense of urgency and danger that was impossible to ignore. His father had always said that freedom was worth any price, that the island's future depended on their willingness to stand against the warlord's tyranny.

But tyranny wore many faces, not just that of soldiers. It came in the insidious form of technology—drones buzzing through the skies, ever-vigilant, recording every movement of the resistance. Surveillance towers sprang up overnight, their cameras trained on every corner of the city-state, stripping away any semblance of privacy or safety. The most terrifying were the automated sentinels—hulking machines of metal and circuits that patrolled the outskirts of Baiyun Cliff, armed with weapons that glowed with an eerie blue light. Skylar had seen one up close, its giant frame casting a long shadow over him as it scanned the area with frigid, mechanical precision. The resistance had fought back, their chi manipulation skills formidable, but they were no match for the warlord's advanced technology, wielded with ruthless efficiency.

These machines had not just been tools of war; they had been symbols of domination, a message that the island's spirit could be crushed with the flick of a switch, with algorithms that calculated the exact moment to strike, with weapons that left no room for mercy. Skylar's father had spoken often of how their enemy was not just flesh and blood, but metal and code—how their oppressors had made a pact with those who could craft these technological monstrosities, sealing the island's fate.

And then came the day that would forever be etched in Skylar's mental landscape. It was five years ago, but the memories were as vivid as if they had happened yesterday. The siege had been swift and merciless, a coordinated attack that caught the resistance off guard. The drones had been the first to strike, raining down missiles that obliterated the resistance's hideouts. The automated sentinels had followed, marching into Baiyun Cliff with thunderous steps, their energy weapons slicing through anything in their path. Skylar had seen his father standing defiantly at the edge of their neighborhood, his hand outstretched in a futile attempt to shield his people. The flash of blue light had been blinding, and then... nothing. He was only sixteen at the time, old enough to grasp the magnitude of the loss but still young enough to feel the sting of helplessness.