𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟎

Aveline sat next to her mother, the warmth of their conversation wrapping around them like a comforting blanket. Aveline allowed herself to relax, to simply be. Heidi's voice, soft yet steady, filled the space between them.

"Santiago and I have been deceiving everyone for centuries," Heidi began, a slight frown creasing her brow. "It's not that we're truly chosen mates. We're close, of course, but it's more out of necessity than love."

Aveline tilted her head curiously. "Necessity?"

Heidi nodded, her eyes serious. "Santiago never wanted to deal with the relentless pursuit from other female vampires. So, I offered him a solution—a façade that would keep us at bay until he found his true mate. Once he does, we'll drop the act."

Aveline leaned back, processing this. "And all this time, you were hiding the fact that Vladimir is your true mate."

"Yes," Heidi confirmed, a mixture of sadness and resolve in her voice. "I didn't know he's been alive all these years. I thought I was just destined to feel this emptiness, this loss, for all eternity. But now, knowing the truth, it makes everything so much more difficult. You and I are playing a dangerous game, and once the truth comes out, it could ripple through the entire Volturi."

Aveline's thoughts turned to the complexity of their situation. "And what about our plan to find Vladimir?"

Heidi's expression softened as she looked at her daughter. "We have to find him, Aveline. He's your father, and I need to know if there's still something left between us after all this time. But with Stefan in the picture, things are going to get complicated. You and I will go on our usual 'shopping trip' next weekend—at least, that's what we'll tell everyone—but really, we'll be searching for Vladimir. Once we find him, we'll return and tell the kings everything."

Aveline let out a slow breath, the weight of the situation settling on her shoulders. "And what about when Stefan finds out? He's not going to let this go easily."

"No, he won't," Heidi agreed, a grim determination in her voice. "He's going to be a problem we'll have to deal with. But I'm not letting anyone stand between me and Vladimir."

Silence fell between them as the enormity of what they had discussed hung in the air. Aveline's mind raced, trying to piece together the implications of it all. Heidi reached out, placing a comforting hand on Aveline's. "We'll figure this out, my darling."

Aveline nodded, her resolve hardening. "Yes, we will. And when we find him, when we find Vladimir, we'll make sure our family is whole again."

Heidi smiled, a rare glimmer of hope in her eyes. "Thank you, Aveline. For everything."

As the night deepened, Aveline found herself alone once more. Her mother had left some time ago, leaving Aveline with her thoughts and her sketchbook. The candles had burned low, casting a warm, flickering light over the pages as she sketched the day's memories. Her hand moved swiftly, capturing the tender moment she had shared with her mother earlier—a hug that had meant more to her than words could express.

She was so engrossed in her drawing that she almost missed the gentle knock on her office door. But the familiar scent that accompanied it made her smile.

"Come on in, Marcus," she called out, her voice soft but tinged with a smugness she couldn't quite hide. She leaned her face on her propped-up hand, a small, knowing smile playing on her lips.

The door opened slowly, and Marcus stepped inside, his presence commanding yet gentle. He held one hand behind his back, his expression giving nothing away. Aveline raised an eyebrow, a question in her eyes as she watched him approach.

He returned her smile with one of his own—a wide, genuine smile that made her heart skip a beat. Slowly, he brought his hidden hand forward, revealing a bouquet of red roses. The sight of them made her breath catch, and she felt a warmth spread through her chest.

"Oh, Marcus," she whispered, her cheeks flushing as she stood up and walked over to him. The happiness she felt was almost overwhelming. She had been realizing for a while now that she was beginning to love him, slowly but surely.

Marcus watched her, his eyes soft and filled with affection as she took the bouquet from him and brought it to her nose. She inhaled deeply, savoring the scent of the roses—her favorite flowers. There was something timeless and classic about them that she had always loved, a beauty that never faded.

"You always know how to make me smile," she said softly, looking up at him through her lashes as she placed the bouquet on her desk, not wanting to let go of the moment.

"I wanted to do something special for you, Aveline," Marcus said, his voice tender as he stepped closer. "I was hoping we could spend some time together this week, outside of the trials and obligations."

Aveline's eyes sparkled with curiosity. "You have something in mind?"

He nodded, his smile growing as he looked at her. "I thought we could have a date each day until Friday. Just the two of us, doing simple things—getting to know each other better."

Her heart swelled at the thought. It was sweet, intimate, and exactly what she needed. "That sounds wonderful, Marcus. I'd love that."

"Good," he replied, his voice laced with anticipation. "How about we start tomorrow? I know a little place where we can take a walk—it's quiet and has a beautiful view. I thought we could start there."

She nodded eagerly, her excitement bubbling to the surface. "I'd like that. I haven't taken a walk just for the sake of it in a long time."

"Then it's a date," he said, his hand gently taking hers. He brought it to his lips, brushing a kiss across her knuckles in a gesture so tender it made her feel as though she was floating. "I can't wait."