𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟒

They neared the borders of Romania, and Heidi slowed, motioning for Aveline to do the same. "We're close," she whispered, her senses sharp. "Stay alert."

Aveline nodded, her anxiety palpable as they approached the castle, keeping to the shadows. The ancient fortress loomed in the distance, its silhouette stark against the darkening sky. Every instinct in Aveline's body screamed danger, but she forced herself to remain calm. If things went wrong, she was ready to use her mind control to protect them both.

"What if Stefan was right?" Heidi whispered, her voice trembling. "What if Vladimir didn't come because he didn't care?"

Aveline paused, her expression softening as she turned to Heidi. "He's your true mate, mom," she said gently, yet firmly. "Love like that doesn't just fade, not even after all these years. You deserve to hear Vladimir's side of the story, not through Stefan's lies."

Heidi bit her lip, nodding slowly, though fear still flickered in her eyes. Aveline gave her an encouraging smile, squeezing her hand briefly before they continued toward the castle, their steps determined. They moved with purpose, knowing the risks but understanding that this confrontation was necessary. For Heidi's sake, for the sake of the truth, and for the future that awaited them all.

The imposing doors of the castle loomed ahead, heavy and unyielding. Aveline steeled herself, exchanging a final, reassuring glance with Heidi before they both stepped inside. The entrance hall was dimly lit, shadows dancing on the stone walls as they ventured further in. Every sound echoed ominously, heightening the tension that hung thick in the air.

As they ventured deeper into the castle, Aveline suddenly stopped, her senses flaring. "Someone's here," she hissed, scanning the darkness ahead. Her mind quickly sharpened, ready to take control of any threat that might appear.

Out of the shadows, a group of Romanians emerged-three vampires, their eyes narrowing as they spotted Aveline and Heidi. Without hesitation, Aveline's mind reached out, taking hold of the nearest Romanian. His eyes glazed over, his movements becoming rigid as she exerted her will over him. The others hesitated, realizing too late what was happening.

Aveline's power flared as she forced them into submission, their bodies freezing in place, their minds now under her control. But just as she was about to order them to retreat, a movement in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Stefan stood at the edge of the hall, his expression shifting from surprise to fear as he comprehended the scene before him.

"Stefan," Aveline called out, her voice tinged with urgency as she tried to keep the situation under control. But Stefan's eyes widened in terror. He knew the extent of Aveline's power, and what she could do to him if she wished. Without a word, he turned and bolted, his form blurring as he fled deeper into the castle.

"Damn it," Aveline cursed, her focus wavering. She was torn between stopping Stefan and maintaining her grip on the vampires under her control. But before she could make a decision, a powerful presence surged into the room, one that made her release the Romanians immediately.

Vladimir burst into the hall, his eyes blazing with fury, clearly ready to defend his territory against intruders. His power radiated off him in waves, a testament to many years of strength. For a split second, Aveline prepared herself for a fight, her muscles tensing-until Vladimir's gaze locked onto hers.

The recognition was immediate. "Aveline?" he breathed, the anger in his eyes replaced by shock. But his attention quickly shifted to the figure standing beside her. His eyes widened as they fell upon Heidi. His Heidi. The Heidi he thought had been lost to him forever.

For a moment, the world seemed to stand still. The fierce warrior who had ruled for centuries with an iron fist was gone, replaced by a man utterly stunned, flabbergasted by the sight before him. He took a hesitant step forward, as if afraid that the vision before him might shatter if he moved too quickly.