OO5 .. it's nice to have a friend

There was a sinking feeling in Chappell's stomach as she approached the library. She was putting the bicycle by the rack, peering into the window. Elia was early, on purpose. She rubbed her palms over her hair, smoothing it out of the way. A heavy breath parted her lips as she forced the door open.

Chappell let her purse slip off of her shoulder as she took the chair opposite her friend. The brunette did not break her focus from whatever she was reading. Her head cocked to reveal her unamused face as she finished typing and set her phone down on the desk. The way she looked back up reminded Chappell of seeing her mother after a disappointing call from school.

"So?"

"I'm sorry that I didn't see your texts sooner. I would've helped if I knew-"

"I know you would've. But that doesn't change the fact you blew me off in front of her! Who even is she?"

Chappell took a few moments before opening her mouth. "Her name's Iggy. She's just visiting, it's not a big deal!"

An aggressive hiss of teeth came from the librarian's desk. Elia continued in a used voice. "I know you, Chappell. I know you think it's more than that."

Deep down, a part of Chappell knew she was right. The high school boys that sweet her off her feet only to drop her suddenly. Elia had been there with tissues and a good movie every time.

"No, I swear. I'm not gonna get too attached. Just a summer fling, right?"

"Right," Elia nodded. "I forgive you, so long as it's 'no attachment', okay?"

Chappell tried to smile, but it bent at her lips and made her feel like a fool. No attachment.

"Okay, now, let's talk about him." Chappell took the state newspaper clipping from her bag. Elia turned it took read.

'NEXT MAN CLAIMED BY THE BLUE LAGOON'

'On Tuesday night, police were called to Pony Beach after a dog-walker discovered a dismembered arm. The forensic team identified this as Hunter Scott, a local mechanic.

This continues the pattern of deaths in the north coastal area. Since 2004, around 120 people have gone missing from the town. The majority of victims have washed back up on Pony Beach, but some end up further along the coast.

Local police have been working hard to arrest and prosecute who they believe is the perpetrator of this horrific killing spree. However, after holding several possible suspects in jail, the deaths continue.

Press reports continue to stress that the killer must have had little to no connection to their victims. This has made it incredibly difficult to identify a killer...'

Chappell looked back up at Elia once she had finished reading.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" The brunette asked. "It's nothing new. They got their numbers wrong, too."

"I know, it's all bullshit. But it just made me think, it's in the state newspaper. There's more attention on the case. We could use it."

"What, like a plea for help?"

"Maybe," Chappell tapped a nail on the table, "We need something to help us."

Elia pulled her phone out, hesitating as she opened something.

"My uncle. I could ask him if he would put our information out on his radio show."

Chappell nodded, "I can make a new account and make a few posts too. Would that help?"

Elia nodded, already pulling her chair away as she ran to the door. Chappell could see her stepping back and forth as she pressed the phone to her ear. Chappell's mind let itself wander. To the beach and to Iggy's side.

No attachment. Easy, right? She would leave in a week or so and Chappell's life would be unchanged. She could feel herself laying her head on the girl's shoulder.

No attachment.