OO3 .. iceburn

Chappell stood on the sidewalk, staring out across the beach. The sea calmly lapped at the shore, like a hand stroking at a pet animal. The town was fully at the mercy of the sea, the waves could rise and destroy the town at any moment. Chappell shook her head, the salty air catching in her curls.

There they were again, face down in a book. Her box braids obscured her face from view, but Chappell knew it was the same person. The only person sat on the sand, unaware of the world surrounding them. Chappell knew her next move may be the stupidest one next, but that was okay with her.

"So, do you want anything?" The cart attendant huffed. She swore it had not been that long since the last person bought their ice cream.

"Oh yeah, the strawberry one, please." She was already grabbing at the items in her bag, searching for the money. Her hands shook as she handed the note over, snatching the popsicle. Her free hand tapped over herself. Her beanie was on straight, scarf wrapped carefully around her neck.

Her feet stomped along the sand, the grains forcing away from her. The beach was never busy. Families sometimes came to throw around a ball or build a castle. But nobody dared to step near the water. Even her secret admiree seemed to avoid the sea, her skin wrapped in an oversized hoodie.

Chappell stopped. This was her last chance to turn around. This might become her worst decision. Or it might not. Nerves began to creep up on her, making her body freeze.

"Can I help you?" Chappell stared. She knew that it was a deep, blank stare that she could not break out of. The girl stared back, her shoulders tense. Every emotion in her head coiled back, leaving her to grow red in the face.

"Uh, hi."

The girl's eyebrow rose, as did the same the redhead felt. Her hand flew forward, a knee-jerk reaction leading her to offering up her popsicle.

"Oh, thanks." The confusion was still obvious in her voice. She took the stick, examining the ice. She then began to move, making space on her picnic rug, "Do you need to sit down?"

Chappell shook her head up and down, placing herself down on the floor fast enough to make her dizzy. She pulled the scarf down, creating more room to breathe. Also falling was her stomach, the pit growing deeper.

"I never got, uhm- What's your name?" Chappell adjusted her hat, rolling a strand of hair in her fingers.

"Oh, call me Iggy." A slight smile opened on her face. "And you are... Chappell?"

She gapsed, eyebrows raising. Until she looked down and saw that she still had the tote bag tagged with the name. "Yeah."

Iggy smiled, beginning to lick the popsicle. Her face changed a little. "Thought it would be strawberry. Hm."

"Oh, I'm sorry! I can get you one if you want?" Chappell's hands now kneaded against one another.

"No, don't worry! I prefer tutti-frutti anyway." Her smile grew again. Chappell couldn't tell how much further the smile would stretch. She looked happy, if a little off put by the redhead's sweaty palms.

Iggy turned her head, capturing the waves as the sun began to set behind them. The early June light was dull against the pale blue ocean. A soft breeze blew across from the Atlantic, salty and refreshing.

"You're not from here, are you?" Chappell spoke once she had collected herself.

"No, actually. I go to the college nearby. Yeah, I've just come here for a few weeks before I go see family." Iggy's smile charmed her. It burnt a hole straight through Chappell, exposing herself for the world to dissect.

They sat there for a little while longer, Chappell fidgeting into a new position every five minutes or so. They asked each other small questions, barely getting more than ten words out at a time. Chappell couldn't admit it, but she felt as though this had been a much longer friendship. Centuries old and just as comfy after a lifetime of not meeting.