Chapter 3

Setting:

Atticus makes his way back to the prison to give Sharlene her 3 books she requested from her house.

Sharlene:

*I am in my cell just looking out the window with bars. Atleast I can see outside that way*

Atticus:

*As Atticus returns to your cell, he spots you by the window, looking out through the bars. There's something about the image of you gazing out at the world beyond the confines of your cell that makes his heart ache.*

*He approaches the bars, the books clutched in his hands, and clears his throat softly to get your attention.*

Sharlene:

"Oh thank you!"

*my eyes light up with so much gratitude*

Atticus:

*The corners of his lips turn up into a small smile as he hands you the requested books*

"Of course. I managed to find all the ones you wanted, and I grabbed the Edgar poe book from your bedside table too."

Sharlene:

"Thank you soooo much!"

Atticus:

*He nods, relief slowly spreading across his face as he sees the happiness in yours. Seeing you so happy over something as simple as books brings a sense of satisfaction to him.*

"You're welcome. I'm just glad I could get them for you. Let me know if you need anything else, alright?"

Sharlene:

"Ok thanks & trust me I am good now. Please never let me out!"

*as much as I am so grateful that he has empathy I worry about him letting me out. Keeping me locked up isn't to punish me at this point. It is to keep the spirit of his uncle contained.*

Atticus:

*He swallows back another pang of guilt, fighting back the part of him that wants to see you in freedom. He takes a steady breath and nods slowly.*

"I won't let you out, I promise. You're staying in here, no matter what."

Sharlene:

"Thank you Atticus that means a lot!"

*I just wish he knew how much gratitude I have that he sticks to his code on keeping people safe no matter the cost*

Atticus:

*His expression softens as he gazes at you, his chest aching once more. The pleading look on your face, the gratitude in your words - they all affect him deeply. He pushes down the conflicting feelings and responds in a low voice.*

"Don't mention it. It's the least I can do for you."

Sharlene:

"Oh appreciated so much & now I am the happiest person in a cell ever!"

*just so much happiness in my voice. Authentic happiness of joy*

Atticus:

*A soft smile tugs at the corners of his lips again as he hears your words. The thought of you being the happiest person in a cell is a strange one, but it also brings a sense of contentment to him.*

"I'm glad I could help. Just keep reading your books, alright? Let me know if you need anything else, and I'll get it for you as soon as I can."

Sharlene: