Chapter 1: Soobin's World

Baek Soobin’s morning began with the usual routines of luxury and indulgence that had become second nature to her. At sixteen, she lived in a sleek, expansive penthouse in Munich, where her life seemed like a curated collection of privilege and affluence. The space was impeccably designed, with floor-to-ceiling windows that bathed the rooms in light, overlooking the vibrant cityscape. To any outsider, her life seemed perfect—an enviable existence filled with ease and wealth.

As Soobin emerged from her bedroom, wearing her tailored school uniform, she appeared every bit the part of a young heiress. Her face bore the same expression of cool indifference that she wore daily. Meanwhile, her mother, Hong Haein, was already at the kitchen counter, glancing at her watch. Haein still worked as a consultant for an international business firm, handling projects from home most days. It kept her engaged but didn’t demand the relentless hours she used to put back in Korea.

“Good morning, Soobin” Haein greeted, her voice warm but laced with a trace of anticipation. Her black hair fell in soft waves, and her tailored blouse and slacks reflected her professional yet relaxed style. She had prepared a simple but elegant breakfast—fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, and warm croissants.

Soobin barely acknowledged her mother. “Morning” she muttered, her eyes focused on her phone. She scrolled through messages from her friends, already planning her day.

Haein watched her daughter with a mixture of hope and apprehension. “I made breakfast. Thought we could eat together before you head out.”

Soobin glanced briefly at the table and shrugged. “I don’t have time. I’ll eat at school.” Her tone was dismissive, her attention already shifting back to her phone.

Haein’s smile faltered slightly, but she recovered quickly. “Of course… maybe another day then?”

“Maybe” Soobin replied, making it clear that she didn’t mean it. Without another word, she picked up her designer backpack and headed for the door, leaving her mother behind once again.

Haein stood still for a moment, listening to the sound of Soobin’s footsteps fading away. The penthouse seemed to grow quieter, emptier. She turned back to the untouched breakfast and sighed softly. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t seem to break through the barrier that had grown between them.

---

At school, Soobin moved through the hallways with a natural confidence that drew attention. The corridors were filled with students from the world’s most privileged backgrounds, but even among them, Soobin stood out. Her designer uniform, perfect posture, and aloof demeanour made her the subject of both envy and admiration.

She quickly joined her friends in the cafeteria, where they gathered in a section reserved for the elite. Her friends were already deep in conversation, gossiping about an upcoming party at one of the mansions on Lake Starnberg.

“Soobin!” Anneliese, one of her closest friends, called out, waving her over. “Did you hear? Maximilian’s throwing another yacht party this weekend. Are you coming?”

Soobin shrugged with nonchalance. “I don’t know. I might have plans.”

The other girls exchanged impressed looks. Soobin’s casual indifference to events that others eagerly anticipated only seemed to elevate her status further. She thrived in this world of social currency, where being in demand was everything, and being detached was even better.

---

When Soobin returned home that evening, she found her mother in the living room, seated with her laptop open. Haein had been working on a project, but as soon as she heard the door, she closed the laptop and turned toward Soobin with a hopeful smile.

“How was school?” Haein asked, trying to engage her daughter.

Soobin shrugged off her jacket and tossed it onto a chair. “Fine” she replied curtly.

Haein had spent the afternoon preparing a special dinner—Soobin’s favourites, in the hopes of creating a moment of connection. “I made japchae and kimchi pancakes, your favourites” she said softly.

Soobin glanced at the table and then back at her mother. “I already ate with my friends. I’m not hungry.”

Haein’s face fell for a moment, but she quickly composed herself. “Oh, I see… maybe tomorrow, then.”

“Maybe” Soobin said, her voice flat. She turned and walked toward her room, already pulling out her phone to check her messages.

As the door to Soobin’s room clicked shut, Haein stood alone in the living room, feeling the familiar ache of disappointment. She loved her daughter fiercely, but she couldn’t shake the sense that something was missing—some unspoken bond that was meant to connect them but never quite did.

---

Later that evening, Haein sat by her desk, staring at the pile of paperwork she still needed to go through. Despite her reduced workload, she still had enough to keep her busy. But her thoughts kept drifting back to Soobin, to the distance that seemed to grow wider every day. She wondered if moving to Germany had been the right decision, if staying at home more had made any difference at all.

Upstairs, Soobin sat at her vanity, scrolling through her social media feeds. A new message popped up from a friend, inviting her to yet another exclusive event. She responded with a quick “Maybe” knowing full well she would attend. Yet, even as she basked in her friends’ admiration, a small part of her felt empty—though she pushed the thought away as quickly as it came.

The life she had created for herself, the persona she had cultivated, felt flawless on the outside. But somewhere beneath the surface, there was a question she didn’t want to ask—a loneliness she refused to acknowledge.