Chapter 3: Haein's Growing Concerns

The afternoon sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, casting long shadows across the penthouse as Haein sat on the sofa, a cup of tea in her hand. The room was filled with a warm, amber light, and a soft classical melody played in the background. Yet, her mind was miles away, occupied with thoughts of her daughter.

Haein had received a call from an old friend earlier, one who had her own children attending the same prestigious school as Soobin. It was meant to be a casual conversation, a simple exchange about school events and social gatherings, but it had quickly turned into something else.

“Did you know, Haein?” her friend had asked, her voice hesitant, as if not wanting to intrude. “I overheard Soobin speaking about you…it wasn’t very kind.”

Haein felt a tight knot form in her stomach. She swallowed, trying to keep her voice steady. “What did she say?”

There was a pause on the other end of the line before her friend continued, “She was complaining about how you’re always trying too hard, saying you’re… well, embarrassing. I thought you should know, just in case… you know.”

Haein had forced a smile, even though her friend couldn’t see it. “Oh, teenagers” she laughed softly. “They say all kinds of things. I’m sure it’s nothing.”

But the words lingered long after the call ended, circling around her thoughts like vultures. The truth was, it hurt more than she wanted to admit. She had always tried so hard for Soobin, and knowing that her daughter found her efforts to be a source of embarrassment cut deeper than she expected. Still, she refused to let it show. She needed to be strong, for herself, and for Soobin.

---

Later that evening, Soobin returned home, her expression the usual mix of teenage disinterest and mild irritation. She dropped her bag by the door and slipped off her shoes, not bothering to line them up properly.

Haein, who had been sitting at the dining table, stood up and smiled. “Welcome home, Soobin” she greeted, her voice as cheerful as she could make it. “How was your day?”

Soobin shrugged, heading straight for the kitchen. “It was fine” she replied flatly, not looking up. She poured herself a glass of water and leaned against the counter, glancing briefly at her mother. “Did you do anything today?”

Haein hesitated for a moment, then decided to keep the conversation light. “Oh, just some work, and I spoke with Auntie Jisoo” she said, trying to sound casual.

At the mention of Jisoo, Soobin’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Oh, really?” she replied, a hint of defensiveness in her tone. “What did she say?”

Haein forced a smile. “Just the usual, about her kids… nothing important,” she said quickly, brushing off the topic. She didn’t want Soobin to feel accused or cornered. “I was thinking… maybe we could have dinner together tomorrow night? I could make your favourite, japchae.”

Soobin rolled her eyes slightly, her tone indifferent. “I have plans with my friends” she replied, her words cutting through Haein's hope.

Haein’s smile faltered for a brief second, but she quickly recovered. “Maybe another time, then” she said softly.

“Yeah, maybe” Soobin muttered, turning to leave the room.

---

As the evening went on, Haein couldn’t shake the heaviness in her chest. She knew it wasn’t the first time Soobin had said something hurtful, but this felt different. The indifference, the distance—it felt like there was a wall between them that she didn’t know how to break down. But even in her confusion, she refused to see Soobin as anything other than a teenager struggling to find her way.

Haein's phone buzzed on the table, and she picked it up to see a new message from Jisoo. “Sorry if I upset you earlier” it read. “I just thought you should know. Don’t take it too hard; kids will be kids.”

She stared at the message for a moment, her thumb hovering over the keyboard. She wanted to type back a reassurance, something to say she was fine, that it didn’t bother her. But instead, she just locked the screen and set the phone aside. She felt a sting of loneliness creep in, a sense of being misunderstood—not just by Soobin, but by the world around her.

Despite everything, Haein knew she needed to stay positive. She was determined to hold on to the belief that Soobin’s behaviour was just a phase, something that would pass in time. She loved her daughter fiercely, with a depth that she could never fully express. Even if Soobin didn’t see it now, Haein was convinced that one day, she would.

---

The next morning, Haein decided to reach out to Soobin in her own way. She spent extra time preparing breakfast, arranging the table with fresh flowers and Soobin’s favourite dishes. When Soobin finally appeared, her hair slightly messy from sleep, she blinked at the sight before her.

“What’s all this?” Soobin asked, a hint of suspicion in her voice.

Haein smiled gently. “Just thought I’d make something special today” she said. “We don’t get to do this often.”

Soobin stared at her mother for a moment, her expression unreadable. Then, she shrugged. “I’m not that hungry” she muttered, grabbing a piece of toast. “I’ll just eat this on the way.”

Haein’s heart sank, but she quickly masked it with a smile. “Alright, have a good day at school,” she called out as Soobin headed for the door.

Soobin didn’t respond. The door closed behind her, and Haein was left standing alone in the kitchen, wondering if she would ever find a way to truly reach her daughter. But even as doubt crept in, she whispered to herself, “I’ll keep trying. For us… I’ll always keep trying.”