5. Look at my Biceps

Rika

I watch Lucas slowly slouch further into his seat, but then Dr. Offolberg brings me back to reality as my fists clench. We'll see how much you apologize for that little comment when you see what I have in store for you...

"Okay, I'm sure most people know about you and your story, but for those who don't, can you give us a quick rundown on your life and how you got into fighting?" Dr. Offolberg asks.

I run my hand through my hair, brushing some of it out of my face and back behind my ear. "Family means everything to me and growing up, my siblings started to get bullied."

Dr. Offolberg spins a pen around his finger. "Was it because of your race? I'm not trying to be rude-"

"No, it's fine. You're right, actually. My younger sister and brother, both of them, were getting teased for their brown skin." I throw my right hand up. "Why wasn't their skin white like the other kids?" I throw my left hand up. "Why don't you look like the rest of us? What's wrong with you?" I sigh. "It got to where the bullies started to get violent and I couldn't sit around and take that."

The audience claps for what feels like about 10 seconds. I just wave my hand up in thanks and then shake my head. That's not something I should've even had to defend my family for... who cares what color my skin is? Who cares what color my siblings' skin is, or even this Dr. Offolberg, for that matter? We're all human and it's straight-up vile to treat someone different just because they come from a unique part of the world. I had to grow up quick in order to protect the people I hold dear to me: familia.

"So you learned to fight to protect your siblings?" Dr. Offolberg asks when the crowd quiets down.

I nod. "Absolutely. I found a local BJJ gym and begged my parents to let me go. They were against it at first." I shrug. "You know, the typical parents worrying about me getting hurt when the only thing on my mind was hurting the bullies who hurt my siblings."

The crowd claps once again, and I glance up at Lucas in the stands. He's still there. I'm shocked that he hasn't fled yet, but he keeps his eyes glued to the stage. Glued to me.

Dr. Offolberg adjusts himself in the seat. "Did you immediately use what you learned in the gym against those bullies?"

I smile. "Not right away. I wanted to... oh, man, did I want to. I couldn't just walk up to the other kids I knew were bullying my little brother and sister. I had to wait for them to make a move and catch them in the act. I wouldn't get in trouble if it was self-defense. So I waited until lunchtime one day, when I knew the bullies would be there."

"What happened?"

"I busted one of their noses to start."

"How?"

"A roundhouse kick to the face and keep in mind I had shoes on. More lethal, if you ask me."

"Mhm. Did the other bullies run away after that?"

I laugh, remembering how this all went done all those years ago. "Actually, no. The others got more aggressive while their friend was on the floor; his nose was running blood like a broken faucet. I got angrier after that and thinking back on it, maybe I was too aggressive."

"What did the other bullies do?"

"One immediately charged me, probably thinking he was going to avenge his friend, but I broke his arm."

"Oh!" Dr. Offolberg's eyebrows perk up. "An armbar?"

"That's right."

"And you're no stranger to that injury yourself, correct?" Dr. Offolberg asks.