31. A Steady, Controlled Burn

Rika

The following weekend, I stand in the tunnel of the packed arena with Lucas, Angela, Perez, papa, and several other members of our training staff. Tonight is the night of my fight, and I couldn't be more excited. I've been eagerly counting down the days, itching to step into the octagon and now the moment has arrived. I'm completely focused, jumping up and down in place and filled with boundless energy. Lucas is right behind me, and I can almost feel his breath on my shoulder. As they announce my name and my entrance music plays, I reach and playfully slap his face, giving him a warm smile. "Let's go."

Lucas nods and smashes our foreheads together briefly. Then I turn around and walk through the aisle that's too small between the audience of fans. Hands reach out and graze me with everyone, including Lucas, trying to force them all back along with arena staff. Once we make it to the ring, the referee goes through his pre-fight check and my team stands in their designated area. When cleared, I walk over to Lucas and stand in front of him. I cup his face, showing him a fierce determination mixed with tenderness and power. I love this man and it's his love that will be with me in that cage.

"Your opponent doesn't stand a chance, right?!" Lucas yells, pumping me up.

"Not a fucking chance!" I tease back with a smile. I smack the side of his head and he melts into me. I don't care if all of this is on camera. The world knows we're a couple now, and that gossip has finally died down a bit. Though, tonight, we'll make some more headlines since Lucas is here with me. I kept that quiet so it would be a surprise when he walks with me and my training team to the octagon.

"When you step into that ring, who do you become?" Lucas yells over the roar of the crowd.

"The Cuban Flame!" I shout with a smile so wide that my white teeth show.

Lucas cups my face and then slaps my cheeks a few times. "Get that sexy ass in there and kick her butt, because she's not your main card tonight."

"Oh?" I start, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope. You're scheduled to fight me in our hotel room right after this."

I bite my lip and lean in closer, my lips literally on his earlobe so no one can lipread or hear me. "...naked?"

Lucas steps back and laughs. "Obviously!" he hollers.

I bounce up and down on my feet in excitement. "I'll finish this chick in the first round, then."

He hugs me and whispers into my ear, pointing at the octagon. "Get in there."

"I love you," I say, wrapping my arms around him.

"I love you, too. Go kick some ass!" he screams back.

Reluctantly, I release my grip on him and make my way into the cage, despite the overwhelming desire to hold on. A smile graces my face and a surge of confidence courses through my veins and body. I haven't realized just how much I've missed this until I stand in this ring again. The roar of the crowd. Standing under the dazzling lights illuminating the octagon. I stare down and scrunch my toes on the mat, rubbing my soles on the floor to remember the feeling. My home away from home is right here and I'm ready to throw hands. With a deep, calming breath, I walk to my opponent and she walks to me. We stop when we're face-to-face with the official by our side.

The referee proceeds with the customary pre-fight introduction, and I bump gloves with my competitor, Abigail. I've studied her prior to this, how she moves and glides; how she punches and when she likes to kick and go for a takedown. I'm ready and certain that she won't emerge victorious. A profound sense of power envelopes me, fueling my energy and strength. I overflow with confidence and exude an aura that penetrates Abigail's very soul as I lock eyes with her. Once my fists and feet connect with that pretty little face, her beauty will turn into a horrid living nightmare.