Episode XXIII: The Play's the Thing

It was the day we had all been waiting for. The day when the full cast of our school production of Romeo and Juliet: The Musical was to be announced. I was on the edge of my seat to see who would be in the play. You see, ever since watching the movie version of Romeo and Juliet that Mum likes, I had always wanted to see it as a school play, and to see that dream come true now, and as a musical no less! Well, it was just coming up roses.

When the Drama Teacher, Mr. Jeffrey, came in, he said, "Ladies and Gentledogs, I have come to announce that our pair of Star-Crossed lovers, have been cast!" We ooed in anticipation. Then, he explained, "For the role of Romeo, we have...JEAN-LUC DE LABRADOR!" Everyone cheered. "And," he said, "For the role of Juliet, we have...BLUEY HEELER!" Everyone gasped, the room grew silent. Everyone turned and looked at both me and Jean-Luc, and I had turned bright red and begun sweating profusely. "Err, congratulations!" said Chloe, who had been cast as Juliet's nurse. "Yes, CONGRATULATIONS!" Said Snickers, who was playing Friar Lawrence.

 "Yes, CONGRATULATIONS!" Said Snickers, who was playing Friar Lawrence

"This is awesome!" Said Dad when I told him at dinner. "Yeah," replied Bingo, "I always saw you as an actor, and this may be your chance to prove it." "Plus," said Dad, "This may be your chance to sort out your feelings for Jean-Luc, and live happily ever after with him!" "Don't be silly Bandit," said Mum, "That kind of thing usually only happens in poorly written fanfictions based on obnoxious shows for preschoolers" "Well," I said, "Dad's point still stands. I want to sort out my crush on Jean-Luc, and this seems like the best way to do it"

This hypothesis would only get re-affirmed later when we were practicing for the play the next day. After we had finished rehearsing the number 'Star-Crossed Meet-Cute', Jean-Luc pulled me aside and said, "Bluey, I have something important to say...I love you" I just stood there, wordless and motionless, but... 

"THIS IS AMAZING!" Said Dad

"THIS IS AMAZING!" Said Dad. "I guess I was right." "Yeah," said Mum, "But how will we help them get together?" "Glad you asked!" said Dad, "I compiled this list of stuff for the happy couple to do." And he showed me the list, which outlined a series of fun activities for Jean-Luc and I to do between rehearsals.

That week, Jean-Luuc and I had the most fun nights we'd had since we met. We went to the amusement park, we went on multiple romantic dinners, and even got to see the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure movie in theaters(among other movies). Later, when we were at the dress rehearsal, Jean-Luc said, "You know what I think Bluey?" "yes?" I asked, and he said, "I think this is going to be the best play either of us will ever be in."

And indeed it was. While there may have been some odd choices, like representing the opening street fight via a rap battle, or a piano rising from the stage floor during the balcony scene, but the songs were still catchy, and I finally got to sort out my relationship with Jean-Luc. Point is, we were dating, and we loved it.