3. Unicorns Fear No Demons

Little foals grew up and became colts, that was the law of nature. No one ever stayed small. Not even a rare semi-unicorn.

A young unicorn moved through the herd with purpose, a long veil covering fangs no one could ever see. Like the others at his age, Sabo shot up like a weed, even if he was still smaller than his mother and the other adults. He was also the first of them to start eating the plants the adults ate, as he had lost his baby fangs a while ago and his new set was too sharp for his mother to safely handle. So even if he was still young, they had no choice. He would never forget the hidden fear in his mother's eyes as he tried his first plants; while unicorns could eat them just fine, they were poisonous for other creatures after all, including kelpies. Luckily, Sabo was fine, and the tip of his growing horn started to take on a red hue as well. His rounded tongue ran over the fangs in the mouth, carefully tracing their sharp tips. Ears flattened.

He didn't understand how he could have possibly liked them as a young foal... he looked like a horrendous monster. An abomination. He looked just like a Water Demon who jumped from the depths with sharp fangs bared, ready to tear and kill anything it saw. Sabo made sure to stay away from the water unless he had to drink, and he kept his baths short too, lest something horrible awakened within him.

He was a unicorn. Nothing else.

"Sabo!" A voice called out to him. Looking over, he saw his cousin - Ezra - hurrying over to keep up with his fast strides. They were about the same age, but as Ezra hadn't started eating plants yet, his horn was still white. "Are you going to ask that question again?" His cousin asked him, tilting his head curiously.

Sabo kept quiet, but Ezra stayed near as they walked through the frozen field, snow falling around them and collecting in their manes. Neither bothered by the low temperatures and the snow as they had a soft and warm coat to keep them from getting too cold.

"Look, there are the adults!" Ezra said, ears perking up as he mentioned with his head in their direction. Sabo looked over and realized he was right. There were about four adult unicorns, and two pegasi. He noticed a smaller pegasus among them as well, bright plumage like the sun which easily gave away his identity. "Nika and his mom are there too," Ezra pointed out. Sabo indeed recognized the adult pegasus with the white plumage and orange markings next to the pegasus colt as his mother.

The two of them stepped before the adults and stood still until they were noticed, which didn't take long as Nika let out a happy screech when he noticed them. "Can we do something for you?" One of the unicorns asked, pale pink eyes addressing them curiously. Nika's mother gave them a narrow-eyed look, already knowing what they were here for as Sabo had already asked her The Question - as Ezra had started to call it.

"What do you think about kelpies?" He asked his first question.

The other unicorns blinked and exchanged surprised looks

The other unicorns blinked and exchanged surprised looks. The same unicorn addressed them again. "Did you seriously walk all this way to ask about the Water Demons?" She asked incredulously. When Sabo did not budge, and Ezra merely shrugged helplessly, she sighed and gave them a stern look. "I think the world would be better off without them," she stated, lifting up her head. She was dead-serious and truly believed that.