𝓒𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝓣𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ★ 𝓾𝐬 𝓪𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝓽𝐡𝐞 𝔀𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝

Ares Dimitriou always knew he was different, and not in the cringy quirky sense. He knew he was different because when he looked at other kids his age, nothing about their lives was even remotely similar to his. They didn't have to move counties every year, act over-cautious when the police were around, or have piles of cash hidden under the floorboards. But that was his normal, and he had never known any different.

Now Ares didn't know what his mother did for a living, all he knew was that it was dangerous and she made a lot of money. He worried about her safety, even though she had reassured him more times than he could count that she would be fine. He still couldn't help but worry, that one day she would leave and wouldn't come back.

Just like his father. His mother never talked about him, like at all. Every time he asked a question about him Ares would receive the same response, 'he was a good man with his monsters Ares' The boy had heard this so many times over the years that he could recite it verbatim and the two would end up dropping the conversation.

He knew he could talk about anything with his mother, just not about his father or Japan. As he had found out first hand whenever he brought up the subject his mother would change the topic or give some vague generic answer. Ares knew she cried at night, thinking he was asleep but he heard it all and stopped bringing up the topics altogether to avoid upsetting her.

The two had always been close, but I suppose they had no choice but to be. It was just the two of them, so they learned to lean on each other. Adara did her best to help with her son's homework, but she soon found out he was much smarter than her and didn't need much help. But she still sat with him at the table to be there for him, just in case. She always made time for her boy, doing his hair every morning, reading him bedtime stories, teaching him how to cook, watching movies and playing with his hair when he couldn't sleep.

Not only did she spoil her boy with the affection she wished she had received as a child, but she also bought him everything his little heart desired. Even though he never asked for much, when he did he got it no questions asked. When he wanted a phone, he got the latest. If he wanted to start learning a new language, she would ensure he got the best teachers in the country. And of course, if he expressed an interest in pursuing a hobby in music and sport, Adara would splash out and give him nothing but the highest quality equipment.

Adara loved Ares more than anything, he was her will to keep living. Her darling angel who was sent to her from above, the boy who did his best to help out around the house, who went to the grocery store to buy her period products and ice cream when it was that time of the month, the boy who was the picture of perfection and a gentleman. Sometimes she found it hard to believe that she birthed him, he was so perfect.