12. Hyderabad Diaries

Irfan held his hand out to Meetha as she was about to get down.

Meetha took his hand with a teasing chuckle. “Quite the gentleman, aren't we, Qureshi?”

He shook his head in resignation. “You really are something else,” he sighed. “You might get lost in the crowd. Please grab my hand until we get away from the platforms.”

She complied and followed suit, as a fleeting twinkle of happiness danced across her face. She looked around her surroundings as he gently tugged her hand and led her along the path.

The Railway Junction was monumental, its colossal columns and high arched ceilings resembling a fortress. The lights dazzled in a kaleidoscope of brilliant colours, illuminating the scene in an electric glow. People surged in waves, a constant tide of humanity flowing in and out of the gates without reprieve. The sheer scale and frenetic energy of the scene was overwhelming. Everything about this experience was new. That fact both exhilarated and intimidated her.

“Wonderful, isn't it?” Irfan asked without stopping. She nodded breathlessly. “I feel so small and insignificant.”

“That's actually good. You see, our problems will seem insignificant too. I don't know, it's what philosophers say..”

Meetha laughed. “I get the idea.”

When they walked up to the concourse, a shroud of khaki-clad taxiwalas surrounded them and started jabbering about their services. Meetha looked at Irfan.

Irfan hesitated for a moment before asking her, “So, what's next? Where do you plan on staying in Hyderabad?”

Meetha shrugged her shoulders without answer. “I got on the train on a whim. I didn't plan on staying anywhere.”

Irfan rubbed his neck, his lips pursed in thought.
“Hyderabad isn't super safe, especially at night. Until you get to know the city better, it's not advisable to be out by yourself.”

She nodded receptively. “What do you think I should do?”

“I know this might seem contrived, but I have no other ideas. Would you be open to staying with me for now? You can stay the night, and we can figure something out in the morning..” he suggested tentatively.

Meetha seemed thoughtful, mentally evaluating her options. She didn't have any friends in Hyderabad, nor was she familiar with any part of the city. Irfan was pretty much the only person she would know in Hyderabad. Though she found him genuine, there was still some scepticism in her cautious part of the brain.

Irfan quickly understood her thoughts. He didn't immediately jump to defend himself or be offended. 
“Ask me anything you want to know,” he offered. “I can help dispel your doubts to the best of my abilities.”

“Where are you staying?”

“Hotel Charminar. It is closer to the recording studio where I'm meeting the producer's agent. It's around ten kilometres from the junction.”

“Is the hotel safe?”

“I've never been to the hotel. I booked it online. It had 4 stars on Google maps. It's located on the main road itself. I can share the location for you to check.”

She seemed reassured. Irfan wasn't persuasive, but rather supportive and understanding. She felt like he was her safest option in the new city. A little newfound adventurous part of her even felt happy about it.

“Okay, sounds good to me, if you are okay with it. I mean, I don't wanna impose or anything..” she trailed off doubtfully.

“Are you kidding me? How can you be imposing while I'm the one who's inviting you?”

Meetha chuckled lightly. “It's settled then, Qureshi. I'm coming with you.”

“It's my pleasure.”

He quickly hired a taxi and opened the car's door for her to get in. He got in the front Passenger seat, starting to converse with the cab driver.

Meetha felt her eyelids heavily drooping, and had to try very hard to stay awake. She was tired, physically and mentally. She tried to gaze out of the glass window tinted with mist. Midnight in Hyderabad felt surreal.

The streets still pulsed with life, with people going about their business. Some were departing from their homes, while others were returning, each lost in their own world yet weaving in and out of each other's paths inadvertently. Majestic skyscrapers, adorned with vibrant lamps that shone like beacons, stood tall in their quest to touch the sky. The city was a bustling hub, boasting a diverse array of stores, malls, business centres, and hotels, each one a testament to human ingenuity and progress. The neon flashes of the bars and pubs cast a prism of colours, beckoning the youth of the city to indulge in the delights of nightlife.

Enormous bridges and flyovers sprawled in every direction, wrapping the city in a labyrinthine network of black asphalt ribbons. Meanwhile, the metro tracks engaged in a vibrant dance of hyper-modern infrastructure, as if competing for space with the existing ensemble.

“How many of these flyovers and clover bridges do you have? I've counted seven, and we are still on the same road.”

Irfan burst out laughing at her naive and generic wonder. The driver laughed too.

“Hyderabad is changing very much, very fast, Madamgaru..”

“I wouldn't know Anna, it's my first time coming here.”

Meetha smiled and returned to her view. The landscape has now changed, tall Buildings being replaced with rustic living quarters and mansions. The distant silhouette of Charminar came into view. The historical monument was warmly illuminated by green and blue lights, making Meetha wonder how it would look basking in golden sunlight in the morning. The skyline was peppered with ancient mosques and temples, their presence heartwarming and inviting. The traffic had slowly died down, signifying their venture away from the city centre.

After a twenty minute ride, the car stopped in front of a five-storey building. The sign read ‘Hotel Charminar.’

Meetha got out and looked around. Irfan paid for the taxi and stepped out with his backpack. He stood beside her as she inspected the building's facade.

“Shall we?”

He could see that she was a bit doubtful, a bit hesitant. But as she turned to look at his face, her doubts dispersed. She knew in her heart that she was safe with him. She followed him with dauntless faith.

The room was spacious, exuding a serene ambiance. Two single cots, clean and invitingly cozy, were adorned with crisp white sheets and pillows. A large wardrobe and dressing table stood along the wall, adding to the room's grandiose atmosphere. Irfan fell on the bed as soon as he entered the room. “I'm out” his muffled voice came from under the pillow.

Meetha witnessed herself fall completely in love with him at that moment.

***