6. Peanuts for samosas

“I do some local gigs. I teach Piano to children at a community hall in our area. On weekends, I sing and play drums at a restobar. Occasionally I fill in as a stand-in performer for some concerts. YouTube is only recent, but has been a good venture. I gained ten thousand followers in six months. I also received many sponsorships.”

“That is really great. You must be proud.”

“Yeah. I was contacted by a music company in Hyderabad. They want me to come in for an audition. If they like what they see, I might get to work with some prominent music directors of South India.”

“That is excellent news, Irfan! So I assume you're on your way to Hyderabad for that?”

“Mhm. Yes.”

“I'm thrilled for you. And I wish you all success to land that music deal with flying colours.”

“I better get that deal, considering I almost lost my life for it,” he quipped.

Meetha looked thoughtful for a moment. He feared that he had touched another sensitive topic. However she quickly offered, “Do you want to talk about it?”

Irfan couldn't help but admire her exceptional empathetic skills. Despite being in a bad mood herself, she was offering him comfort and consolation, putting his needs before hers. He felt a surge of gratitude and veneration.

“It was just very scary. I didn't know what was gonna happen to me. I was petrified and disoriented. A few pedestrians helped me up and cleared my bike from the road. I didn't allow myself to think about that horrific moment. I grabbed the first auto rickshaw and rushed to the station. When I successfully boarded the train,
I felt like my efforts weren't wasted. In retrospect, it was a life lesson, and a good story to tell.”

Meetha listened patiently and placed her hand upon his. “You must be so scared. I'm glad that you're okay.”

“I'm fine, truly. It's just a few scratches. Nothing a good nap can't fix.”

“Oh, are you feeling tired? Do you wanna nap?”

“No, not now. I'll sleep when I get to Hyderabad. Now I wanna spend time with you.”

She nodded in agreement. “Do tell me if I'm bothering you.”

A lopsided smile crept up to his face. He muttered to himself, “you can never ever bother me, Meetha.”

Meetha didn't catch that. The train had come to stop at the next station and she was busy searching for something to buy him that was safe and healthy. After evaluating her options, she settled on peanut chikki. She called the vendor and bought a few packets.

“Here you go, something safe to snack on.”

“How very kind of you, depriving me of samosas and getting me peanut bars.” He sneered playfully.

“Are you allergic to peanuts?”

“No, I like samosas more.”

“You can eat samosas, just not the unsafe ones from the pantry car.”

He pouted again but dove into the peanut bar heartily. She laughed and shook her head, enjoying his antics.

Meetha liked being like this. She liked talking to someone who would actually listen to her. She liked watching him be his unapologetic, authentic self. She wanted to bake thousands of samosas and feed him herself.

“These are actually good..” Irfan admitted reluctantly, reaching in for a second piece. “You try some too.”

Meetha complied, and took a piece to relish it. The peanut bar was sweeter than she remembered. She didn't know if she was imagining things, or if life had actually taken a turn for the better.

The night had begun, and as the sun dipped below the horizon, the distant towns transformed into a vibrant mosaic of neon and mercury lights resembling a jewel box spilled open, its contents glinting in the darkness. Meetha was breathless in awe. Irfan also looked inspired.

“It's beautiful, isn't it?”

“Yes, very much so. This is a first for me. Seeing the towns' nightlife from afar, it's like a whole different world. So peaceful, so ethereal.”

Irfan and Meetha were admiring the night scenery when the train came to a halt in the middle of nowhere. They were mildly confused and looked around.

“It is a signal stop, to allow a freightliner to pass. The train stops here for around twenty minutes,” a veteran traveller near them announced.

Meetha looked at Irfan with pleading eyes. “Can we get down the train and have a look around?”

“Meetha, that could be dangerous. It is extremely irresponsible to–”

“You wanted me to be adventurous, did you not? Now are you coming with me or not Qureshi?”

Irfan's mouth fell open at her words. Speechless, he followed her to the door. She hesitated for a second before climbing down the stairs. Irfan followed suit, and they both landed on the gravelly land near the rails. Looking both ways and ensuring no train is coming to kill them, Irfan quickly led her to the field by the side. The distant town shimmered in lights, contesting the stars on the obsidian sky above. The air was cool and rich with the smell of paddy.

“Careful please, Meetha. There might be insects or critters.”

“Mm, can you take some pics for me, please?” She held out her phone to him.

“Sure. Smile.”

She smiled and posed with a 'V' shape, her fingers resting against her face in a peaceful gesture. Irfan clicked more pictures than necessary. The mild glow from the train’s lights illuminated her face, contrasting with the dark background of the town.

Meetha sat on a stone near the tracks and gestured to him to join her. He glanced at the train one time, and joined her hesitantly. A gentle breeze caressed them both, and Meetha shivered lightly, her senses heightened by the cool, soft touch.

“Do you feel cold? Can we go inside?”

She put her hand over his. “Shh. Stay.”

Now it was Irfan's turn to shiver. Her hand felt warm and soft against his skin. It did things to his heart that he couldn't fully comprehend. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, the train's ear-splitting horn blasted, drowning out his words and rendering his question inaudible. Meetha held his hand tightly as the freightliner whizzed past them with deafening noise and a cloud of dust.

***