5

I wouldn't classify myself as someone who believes that dreams have meaning, I think some do and some don't and sometimes we don't dream at all right? So how are we really meant to know which ones mean something and which ones don't? Say, for instance, I had a dream about a raspy-voiced redhead, that could mean anything right? It could mean that she's plaguing my mind because she's scary, or that I had a stressful day with her only a few days ago, or maybe it means nothing and I just dreamt about her simply because she is present in my life and we often dream about the people we encounter day to day.

I'm not sure if there's an answer but I'm going to stick with the fact that it's because she is currently in my life and it has nothing to do with the smell of cherries that comes off her whenever she walks by.

"Charlie!"

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry I was somewhere else!" I jump at the sound of Sorcha shouting my name. My morning had been pretty consistent, I kept zoning out and someone had to shout my name or a child would bring me back around. I got little sleep last night and the hours that I did get were consumed with either how empty my bed felt or how I couldn't seem to get Mia out of my mind every time I closed my eyes.

"Lizzie is here," Sorcha says motioning to Lizzie who was standing with her mum looking concerned.

"I am so sorry, good morning Lizzie! Oh there she goes!"" I say as the little girl runs past me and straight to her friends.

"I know right? Well have a lovely day sweetheart I'll see you later," Her mum shouts after her.

"Sorry, just before you go," I stop her and pray this goes smoothly.

"What's up?"

"I know you and your ex-husband split drop off and collection"

"Yeah?"

"Well, unfortunately, your ex-husband has been collecting quite late the last few weeks and it was just the odd day but I'm afraid it's every night now so management has added a late fee to your bill and I didn't want you to be blindsided since you pay the bill," I say, my heart pounding against my chest.

"You are joking, how late has he been?!"

"Well Lizzie finishes at six but he's been collecting quarter past, half past six."

"You're not serious, y'know he collects her because he finishes work at five and works just around the corner, and here I thought he was picking her up at five and spending some actual time with her until I finished work myself!" She says exasperated but at least she wasn't shooting the messenger.

"I am so sorry"

"No, don't be it's not your fault, excuse me, I'm gonna go mad at him, thank you!" She says and quickly leaves the room. I look over to Sorcha who's eyes are wide but I can tell she's trying not to laugh.

"Dad is gonna be angry with me isn't he?"

"Probably, but it's his own fault so take no notice" She shrugs at me and I laugh a little at how little she cares about how the parents speak to her.

"I wish I was more like you y'know," I say

"Don't blame you." She says and I roll my eyes at her humour.

******

The rest of the day had gone pretty smoothly thankfully. I had managed to forget about my dreams for the most part, Sorcha had a pretty good way of taking you out of your head and making things seem so much simpler than they felt. On days like this, I really appreciated her and her antics. They kept me sane and made me laugh when I felt like my head was going to explode.