Wedding

The wedding day of Dushala dawned with a soft, golden hue over Hastinapur, the palace courtyard buzzing with activity as the early morning rays reflected off the grand dais that had been elaborately constructed for the ceremony. Flowers of every shade imaginable adorned the pillars, while the canopy above was draped with silk banners embroidered in gold, creating a setting fit for the only Kaurava princess. The soft fragrance of marigolds and sandalwood wafted through the air, and the sound of drums and flutes filled the space as guests began to gather.

Jayadratha, the groom, stood tall near the ceremonial fire, awaiting the arrival of his bride. He was undeniably handsome, with sharp, regal features, a strong jaw, and eyes that glittered like dark obsidian. His deep red and gold wedding attire matched the grandeur of the occasion, and his hair, tied in a warrior's knot, gave him an imposing presence. But beneath the surface of his charm, there was something unsettling—a hunger in his eyes, a lustful gaze that wandered far too easily from one woman to the next. His reputation for coveting what wasn't his was whispered about, even among the guests, though none dared speak of it openly.

Dushala appeared at the entrance of the courtyard, looking every bit the royal bride. She was radiant in a red sari, woven with gold threads that shimmered under the morning light. Her dark hair was intricately braided and adorned with delicate rubies, while her neck and arms glittered with heavy ruby-studded jewels that had been passed down through the royal family. Her face, though adorned with the serenity expected of a bride, held a trace of nervousness. But she was beautiful, and today, she was to become the queen of the Sindhu kingdom.

As she stepped onto the dais, Samyukta, who stood among the close family members, couldn't help but feel both happy and melancholic. This was her cousin, the sister she had grown up with, now leaving Hastinapur to join her husband in a faraway kingdom. Samyukta's heart ached at the thought of Dushala moving to the Sindhu kingdom, far from the only life she had known. Yet, she smiled for her cousin, knowing that this was Dushala's fate, bound by the duties of royal life.

The wedding rituals began. The priests chanted sacred verses, their voices blending with the low hum of the crowd. The ceremonial fire crackled, and Dushala and Jayadratha circled it, hands linked as they took their vows. Samyukta watched, standing near Vidura and Lady Sulaba. She tried to focus on the beauty of the ceremony, the love in Dushala's eyes as she glanced at her new husband, but something about Jayadratha unsettled her.

Her unease grew as she noticed the way Jayadratha's gaze would occasionally drift toward her. It was subtle at first, but as the rituals continued, Samyukta became increasingly uncomfortable. His eyes, dark and filled with something unspeakable, lingered on her longer than they should have. Each time their eyes met, she felt a chill run down her spine, a sense of violation she couldn't explain.

Trying to ignore the feeling, she focused on the fire, on Dushala's beaming face, and on the rhythmic chants of the priests. But no matter how hard she tried, Jayadratha's eyes seemed to find hers in the crowd. Samyukta shifted uneasily, stepping slightly behind her father, seeking the comfort of his protective presence.

The ceremony came to an end with the final blessings from the elders, and the air was filled with the joyous cheers of the court. Dushala and Jayadratha were now bound as husband and wife, and the celebration began in full swing as the feast was prepared.

Long tables were laid out with a feast worthy of a royal wedding. Silver platters filled with exotic dishes lined the tables—fragrant rice, spiced meats, fruits from distant lands, and sweets dripping in honey and rosewater. The musicians played lively tunes, and the guests mingled, offering their congratulations to the new couple.

Samyukta, despite the celebrations, still felt a heaviness in her chest. She couldn't shake the feeling of Jayadratha's gaze following her even now. She glanced across the courtyard where he sat beside Dushala, receiving blessings from the elders, but his eyes were not on his new bride. They were on her.