Matrimony

As the morning sun began to rise, the preparations for Samyukta's bridal bath began. She was led to a private courtyard in Krishna's palace, where a small group of trusted maids, her mother, Krishna's wives, Draupadi and Dushala awaited her, ready to perform the traditional ceremonies that would mark her transformation into a bride.

Samyukta was seated on a low, marble stool as the maids began to cleanse her hair with a mixture of the finest herbs and plants known for their rejuvenating properties. Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Bhringraj, and Amla were expertly blended into a thick paste that was applied to her scalp.

Once her hair had been thoroughly cleansed, the maids gently poured aromatic oils over her head, their scents filling the air with a sweet fragrance. The oils glistened in her hair, making it shine like polished ebony. Next, a paste of turmeric, sandalwood powder, and gram flour was applied to her face, hands, and legs, softening her skin and leaving it with a radiant golden glow. The mixture, cool and fragrant, felt like silk against her skin.

Finally, as the ritual reached its end, milk was poured over her body and hair to wash away the oils and paste. The milk, said to bless the bride with purity and prosperity, left her skin soft and smooth, glowing with an ethereal radiance.

There was no denying the brilliance that radiated from Samyukta's skin after the ceremonial bath. Her maids marveled at how her beauty had transformed, as if she had emerged from the sacred waters of the Ganga herself.

Once the bathing ceremony was complete, Samyukta was led back to her room, where the most important part of the bridal preparation awaited her-her wedding attire. Her mother, Lady Sulaba, had brought with her an exquisite red sari, woven by the skilled artisans of her maternal family. The sari shimmered with gold threads, woven through with rubies and sapphires that had been intricately embedded into designs of lotuses and peacocks.

As Samyukta stood in front of the tall mirror, the maids carefully draped the elaborate sari around her, wrapping the silk fabric with perfection and precision. The red fabric clung to her form, enhancing her natural grace and elegance.

The maids parted her hair into three strands, expertly entwining them into one thick braid, a sacred symbol of the unity of the three holiest rivers that flowed through Aryavarta-the Saraswati, Ganga, and Yamuna.

Yards of jasmine and rose garlands were woven through the braid, filling the air with their intoxicating fragrance.

Once her hair was set, the final touches were added. Kohl, dark and velvety, was applied to the inner and outer rims of her almomd-shaped eyes, accentuating the depth and intensity of her gaze.

As the morning sun streamed through the windows of the bridal chamber, the maids gathered around Samyukta; in front of her lay a large, opulent platter filled with dazzling gold jewellery—pieces that had been passed down through the generations of the Kuru Dynasty. Every inch of the jewels gleamed with intricate craftsmanship, each item a symbol of power and heritage. The heavy golden necklaces, the broad bangles, and the encrusted armlets all radiated an undeniable splendour.

Dushala had worn them at her wedding, and now it was Samyukta’s turn to carry that legacy. But as the maids moved to pick up the broad golden bangles, Samyukta lifted her hand, stopping them.

“I don’t want these!” she said firmly, her voice breaking the quiet hum of the room. The maids froze, confusion clouding their faces.

“I don’t want any of the jewels from Hastinapura,” she continued, her voice calm but resolute. “I prefer to wear the jewellery my mother wore when she married my father.”

Samyukta’s gaze softened as she pointed toward the bed. “Take the little bag near the pillow.”

One of the maids hurried to retrieve the small cloth pouch, its humble appearance a stark contrast to the golden platter before them. She handed the bag to Samyukta, who opened it with care. Inside lay the simple yet elegant jewellery of her mother, Lady Sulaba—a treasured part of her family’s merchant roots in Kashi.