Anticipation

One bright morning, the sun bathed the halls of Panchala's grand palace in a warm golden light, casting long shadows across the marble floors. Dhrishtadyumna was seated in his study, engrossed in conversation with one of the kingdom's ministers. They were discussing matters of crop yields, and irrigation. His face was serious, his brow furrowed in concentration, but his mind was sharp.

The minister spoke in a measured tone, pointing out various figures and estimates on the scroll laid out before them. Dhrishtadyumna nodded occasionally, giving his input when needed. His role as the crown prince came with great responsibility, and he carried it with the honour expected of him.

Just then, the sound of hurried footsteps echoed through the hallway, breaking the quiet atmosphere of the study. The heavy wooden doors burst open, and Samyukta appeared, her face flushed with excitement. She stopped just inside the doorway, her sari fluttering behind her as she caught her breath.

"My lord," she said, her voice breathless but tinged with excitement, "I'm sorry to interrupt."

Dhrishtadyumna looked up, his intense expression softening immediately when he saw her. He excused the minister with a respectful nod, and the man gathered his scrolls and left the room quietly, bowing as he passed Samyukta.

Once they were alone, Dhrishtadyumna's curiosity piqued. He stood up from his desk and walked over to where she stood, the intensity in his eyes melting into warmth. He grasped her arm gently and pulled her closer, a playful smile curling on his lips.

"What is it, Samyukta? You look like you're about to burst with excitement," he teased.

She beamed at him, her eyes sparkling with joy. "I received a letter from Indraprastha!"

His eyebrows lifted with interest, and he leaned in closer, his hand still on her arm. "What did it say?"

Samyukta could hardly contain her happiness. She looked up at him, her smile widening. "Everything is good there. The kingdom is flourishing, the citizens are peaceful and the Pandavas are happy."

Dhrishtadyumna nodded. "That's good to hear. And Draupadi? How is she?"

Samyukta's smile deepened, as she took a step back, teasingly drawing out the answer. "Oh, she's happier than ever now. Especially because..." She paused dramatically, enjoying the suspense, watching Dhrishtadyumna's anticipation grow.

"Especially because what?" he asked, his voice a mix of curiosity and impatience, stepping closer to her again.

Samyukta finally let out a delighted laugh and clapped her hands together. "She's expecting her first child with Yudhishtira Bhaiya!"

Dhrishtadyumna's face lit up with surprise and joy. His mouth parted, and without hesitation, he pulled Samyukta into a tight embrace. "That's wonderful news!" he exclaimed, lifting her slightly off the ground in his excitement.

Samyukta laughed as he spun her around, and when he finally set her down, he held her at arm's length, his eyes still wide with happiness. "I can't believe it. Draupadi is going to be a mother soon."

Samyukta nodded, her own joy still bubbling up. "Yes! She's going to be a wonderful mother, and Yudhishtira Bhaiya will be the best father. I just know it."

Dhrishtadyumna smiled, his mind briefly drifting to thoughts of his sister. "She's been through so much... She deserves all the happiness in the world." He sighed, his expression filled with pride and affection. "And to think, soon there will be an heir to Indraprastha's throne."

Samyukta's heart swelled at how much he cared for his sister. It was moments like these that reminded her why she loved him so deeply. His strength, his protectiveness, his love for his family—it all made him the man he was.