Silk

Kashi, the ancient city on the banks of the sacred river Ganga, was a place of immense spiritual and cultural significance. Known as the City of Light, it was a bustling hub of commerce, learning, and devotion. The narrow lanes were lined with grand temples, markets overflowing with goods, and houses that spoke of the city's rich heritage. The air was filled with the sounds of temple bells, the chanting of priests, and the cries of vendors selling everything from spices to jewellery. The Ganga flowed serenely through the city, its waters believed to purify the soul of anyone who bathed in it.

In the heart of this vibrant city, on the main road that led to the grandest of the temples, stood the house of Samyukta's maternal grandparents. The house was a large, sprawling structure, with intricately carved wooden doors and windows. It was a blend of elegance and tradition, with courtyards filled with flowering plants and a cool verandah where the family gathered in the evenings. The house was always alive with activity, as it was the centre of the family's thriving silk and pearl business.

Samyukta and her mother, Lady Sulaba, had arrived in Kashi after a long journey from Hastinapur. The moment they stepped out of the chariot, they were greeted by the sight of the grand house and the sounds of the city around them. The air was thick with the scent of jasmine and sandalwood, and the streets were alive with people going about their daily lives.

As they approached the house, the large wooden gates were thrown open, and Samyukta's brothers, Aadarsh and Anubhav, came running out to greet them. Aadarsh, the eldest at nineteen, was tall and broad-shouldered, with a warm smile that reached his eyes. Anubhav, at sixteen, was slightly shorter but just as strong, with a quick wit and a lively energy that made him the more mischievous of the two.

"Samyukta!" Aadarsh exclaimed, lifting her off her feet in a tight hug. "You've grown so much since we last saw you!"

Anubhav laughed and ruffled her hair. "You're not a little girl anymore, are you? Come, we have so much to show you!"

Samyukta beamed at her brothers, her heart swelling with joy at being reunited with them. She had missed them terribly, and now that she was finally with them, she felt a sense of belonging that she hadn't realized she was missing.

The inside of the house was just as grand as the outside. The walls were adorned with paintings depicting scenes from mythology, and the floors were covered with rich carpets and silk rugs. The main hall was large and airy, with a high ceiling supported by carved wooden pillars. The hall opened onto a courtyard filled with flowering plants, where a small fountain bubbled quietly in the centre.

Aadarsh and Anubhav led Samyukta through the house, showing her the rooms where their grandparents, uncles, and aunts lived. They finally brought her to a large room at the back of the house, where the family's silk and pearl business was centred. The room was filled with shelves stacked high with rolls of silk in every colour imaginable. There were trays of pearls, ranging from the smallest seed pearls to large, perfectly round ones that shimmered in the light.

"This is where we spend most of our time," Aadarsh said, gesturing around the room. "We've been learning the trade from our uncles and grandparents since we were young."

Anubhav picked up a roll of bright yellow silk and handed it to Samyukta. "Feel this. It's one of the finest silks we've woven. It's going to be sent to the royal family in Dwaraka."

Samyukta ran her fingers over the silk, marvelling at its softness and the intricate peacock feather motifs woven into it with gold threads. "It's beautiful," she said, her voice filled with wonder.

Aadarsh smiled. "Prince Krishna of Dwaraka is very fond of yellow silks with peacock feather motifs. We make these especially for him. He's a remarkable man, you know. They say he defeated the ruthless King Kamsa of Mathura when he was just a teenager."