chapter 5

Chapter 5: shadows of the past
_____________________

Giyuu sat beside Kanza's nest, watching the crow's chest rise and fall with each gentle breath. He felt a sense of calm wash over him, but it was short-lived. His mind began to wander back to the events of the day, the eerie feeling of being watched, and the weight of his responsibilities as a demon slayer.

As he sat there, lost in thought, Giyuu heard a faint rustling outside. It was soft at first, but grew louder, sounding like footsteps crunching through the underbrush. Giyuu's instincts kicked in, and he reached for his sword, his heart racing with anticipation.

Giyuu's hand rested on the hilt of his sword as he cautiously approached the door. He slowly turned the handle and opened it, Giyuu opened the door to find Mitsuri Kanroji standing on his porch, her bright smile and radiant energy a stark contrast to the early morning gloom.

"Kanroji, what brings you here so early?" Giyuu asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Good morning, tomioka-san! I was thinking, since we're all meeting at the teahouse later, I'd drop by and walk with you. It's a beautiful day, and we can enjoy the cherry blossoms together," Mitsuri said, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

Giyuu raised an eyebrow, still trying to shake off the remnants of sleep. "You're certainly cheerful this morning, Kanroji."

Mitsuri chuckled. "Someone has to balance out your gloominess, tomioka-san! Shall we?"

As they strolled through the quiet streets, the morning sun casting a warm glow, Giyuu found himself relaxing in Mitsuri's presence. They walked in comfortable silence, taking in the sights and sounds of the awakening town.

As they approached the teahouse, Giyuu noticed the other Hashira already gathered, their conversations and laughter filling the air. He felt a sense of trepidation, unsure if he was ready to face them all at once.

As Giyu and Mitsuri approached the teahouse, the other Hashira turned to greet them. Shinobu Kochou's eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief as she said, "Ara Ara, Tomioka-san! I never thought you'd join us today."

Her smile seemed warm and inviting, but Giyuu sensed a hint of insincerity behind it. He nodded curtly, his expression neutral, and took a seat beside Mitsuri.

The atmosphere was lively, with the other Hashira chatting and laughing, but Giyuu felt like an outsider. He couldn't shake the feeling that they were all watching him, waiting for him to slip up.

Mitsuri, sensing his tension, placed a reassuring hand on his arm. "Tomioka- san,relax. We're all friends here."

But Giyuu knew better. In the world of demon slayers, alliances were forged and broken with ease, and trust was a luxury few could afford.

They were just chit chatting random things and about their missions and eating food and having fun.

Giyu sat at the table, sipping his tea and listening to Mitsuri's lively chatter about her latest sword techniques. Shinobu nodded thoughtfully, offering words of encouragement.

Uzui, meanwhile, leaned back in his chair, a mischievous glint in his eye. "You know, I've been thinking... we've been so focused on our duties, we've forgotten how to have fun."

Mitsuri paused, raising an eyebrow. "Fun? What kind of fun?"

Uzui grinned. "The kind that involves good food, good company, and a little bit of excitement. Who's up for a trip to the town?"

Giyuu raised an eyebrow, skeptical. "What's in the town?"

Uzui's grin widened. "Ah, that's for me to know and you to find out. Come on, it'll be a blast!"