chapter 14

Chapter 14: grief
__________________________

Days blurred together in a haze of missions and battles. Giyuu and Sanemi, along with the other Hashira, pushed themselves to the limit, protecting humanity from the demonic threats.

Sleep became a luxury, and downtime was scarce. Giyuu's resolve to confess to Sanemi remained, but the timing never seemed right.

Just when they thought the tide was turning, a brief lull in missions arrived. Giyuu saw his chance, his heart racing with anticipation.

He spent hours rehearsing his words, planning the perfect moment. A quiet evening stroll, a secluded spot, and a sincere confession.

But fate, it seemed, had other plans.

Giyuu's thoughts were interrupted by a somber reminder: his sister's death anniversary was approaching, just three weeks away.

The pain still lingered, a raw wound that refused to heal. Giyuu's eyes clouded, memories of his sister flooding his mind.

Giyuu's demeanor darkened, his eyes losing their luster. The usual sharpness dulled, replaced by an unsettling emptiness.

The other Hashira noticed the change, exchanging concerned glances. Giyuu's usual stoicism had given way to an uncharacteristic somberness.

Mitsuri approached him cautiously. "Tomioka-san, is everything alright?"

Giyuu's response was curt, his voice devoid of emotion. "I'm fine."

Shinobu eyes narrowed. "You're not fine. What's going on, tomioka-san?"

Giyuu's gaze drifted away, his jaw clenched. "Nothing."

Sanemi watched, his brow furrowed. He sensed something deeper, something Giyuu kept hidden.

The Hashira's missions continued, but Giyuu's heart wasn't in it. His movements were mechanical, lacking the usual precision.

As the days passed, Giyuu's gloom deepened. His eyes, once bright with determination, now seemed to hold a thousand unspoken sorrows.

The Hashira's confusion grew. What could be troubling Giyuu, their steadfast, unshakeable comrade?

Even Sanemi, who knew Giyuu best, couldn't penetrate the darkness surrounding him.

Giyuu's pain remained locked away, hidden behind a mask of despair.

Two weeks of silence had passed. Giyuu's isolation deepened, his interactions limited to monosyllabic responses. Even Sanemi's attempts at conversation were met with cold indifference.

The Hashira attributed Giyuu's behavior to exhaustion, none suspecting the turmoil brewing within.

As the days passed, Giyuu's self-inflicted scars multiplied, hidden from prying eyes. His cutting became more frequent, a desperate attempt to distract himself from the looming anniversary.

The pain was his sole solace, a fleeting escape from the memories haunting him.

Giyuu's eyes grew sunken, his skin pale. His once-sharp focus blurred, his training sessions lackluster.

The Hashira exchanged concerned glances, but Giyuu's mask remained intact. None noticed the hidden scars, the silent screams echoing within him.

One week remained until the anniversary. Giyuu's emotional fortress teetered on the brink of collapse.

His nightmares intensified, visions of his sister's final moments seared into his mind.

Giyuu's grip on reality faltered, his thoughts consumed by the impending date.